Ratcheting Track issues

mtnmaxblue

Put a Cat 153 track on old blue in January. Changed drivers to 3 inch pitch. Track is aligned. Everytime I go out I have to tighten track 1.5 turns at start of ride and no more ratchet, then next ride I go out it ratchets slightly and another 1.5 turns, no more ratchet, then again on next ride, its continous. Almost to go through my second right side driver. Put new right side driver on after first one was fried from stripped out track tension bolt. This new driver has seen 2 full day rides and showing wear marks on outside. I have looked at suspension and everything seems fine! Any ideas on why I have to tighten my track 1.5 turns everytime I go out. Track is starting to get freakin tight.

By the way, marked a 09 800 Dragon 155 SLP pipe, head and Mtn Teck top end on Saturday.

We have SLP triples, Vforce 2 reeds, and heads!
Edit/Delete Message

When I long tracked my srx to 144 I had problems with the track loosening off right away too. I replaced the lock nuts on the tension adjusters and it was good after that. I think with the extra torque of the longer track the old nuts just wouldn't hold and backed off.

How tight is your axle?

sasksrx said:
When I long tracked my srx to 144 I had problems with the track loosening off right away too. I replaced the lock nuts on the tension adjusters and it was good after that. I think with the extra torque of the longer track the old nuts just wouldn't hold and backed off.

How much are you tightening your axle nut? the adjusters are there to set the track tension, but the nut/bolt of the axle will pinch everything together to keep it from sliding. I loosened my adjusters 1/4 turn the other day trying to find my minimum without ratcheting. I had to tap the cotter pin end of the axle after I backed the nut off 2 turns, then the axle shifted forward and I cranked it back down. You can also put paint marks on the 2 adjusters and axle thread and nut to see if anything is moving.

I started out trying to tighten the axle more but it still did it which really surprised me.I thought the axle would hold it too. So then I tried changing the lock nuts and that solved my problem. I actually did have to tighten them 2 times throughout last year because it backed off again but it was much better. been thinking about putting two nuts on it to help lock it in place but it would be a real challenge to get in there with a wrench to hold the first nut and torque up the second one.

Back