2002 viper 700, power loss , engin light , random total power cut out

marioviper

2002 viper 700, power at top end , engin light , electrical problem

i have a 2002 viper 700, no reverse electric start or battery, i redid the motor , power valves and carbs, everything was running perfect through the season , now it wont rev past 7000 and runs weird , not smooth, the engine light flash random patterns and sometimes stays on, on the trail the sled shut off about 3 times then goes back on right away.
i put another stator in it and it does the same thing
i checked the whole wiring harness for chaffing and couldnt find anything

if someone has any suggestions i would appreciate it thanks
Regards, Mario

Last edited:

I guess I would ask what are the flash sequences its giving you?? And did you remove the wiring harness from under the engine??, another place to check is the tail light wires running under the gastank, and over above the footwell(left) where the cdi box plugs in.
It right off the bat sure sounds like a wire chaff issue and the harness is grounding out on frame.

i had similar symptoms with my 2004 not too long ago. sure enough it turned out to be a wiring issue (going to ground).

previous owner installed and consequently removed a heated visor plug in. it was tapped into a wiring harness under the handle bar pad using those little blue quick clips (grrrr). for whatever reason the plug in was removed and the wires on the little blue connectors cut off. unfortunately there was enough wire hairs left on the connector that it, from time to time, touched the metal under the foam pad causing the short to ground.

the genius tapped into something brake related as when riding and hitting the brakes it would cause me to lose my headlights, dash lights and overall poor performance. NOT COOL @ 80mph at night on on familiar trail.

so yeah you most definitely have something shorting to ground. begin by inspecting all non factor electrical accessories that could possibly have been added.

good luck

Back