1986 xlv problems

linemech31

Just brought home an xlv 540 with a binding engine. You could get the crank to turn but is very tight. Pulled the jugs off to get a look and everything looks good. No broken piston skirts down in the crank case. There is no play in the crank I cant seem to find what is binding it. there is a good coat of oil on everything. I was wondering if i may have a problem in the stator housing. I would like to know if anybody has had this problem?

Also will my clutch puller from my 99 srx work on the xlv?

Mice/mouse nest, junk, leaves, etc in fan housing?? Fan bearing? E-starter stuck in the engaged position?

Does it turn hard both ways?

Junk in the fan housing or a bad main bearing will usually be different and unsteady but a stuck starter will be the same both ways.

opsled

Have it torn down to the point of just the primary clutch and flywheel installed. I dont have a flywheel puller no sure how im going to get it off without one. Motor still turns hard or like you said unsteady in both directions. sometimes its easy then just binds right up. What do i need for a flywheel puller? Thanks for your help

I found out a harmonic balancer or steering wheel puller will do the trick. I will post my findings. thanks

depending on your pto end, i have an excellent bottom end i need to get rid of. actually have new pistons and fresh cylinders that have never been fired installed on it.

there was a crank change right about that year on the pto side, the rest was the same. simple comparison should clarify.

Back