Couple of exciter questions

MoriceMtnMadman

Just signed up here last night, great site. I've been sledding since around 1982 and have had at least one sled for 25 of those 30 years. Just picked up an 89 Exciter for my son to ride. I have a couple questions. There is oil leaking from the top of the oil tank reservior where the low level switch fits in. I'm wondering how the switch assembly seals to the tank. I can just lift it out and can't see how its supposed to seal. The other one is where does the cable attach that keeps the hood from opening too far. I know I could attach it just about anywhere that works but I like things as they were from Yamaha. Thanks.

welcome:) u can find just about everything you need to know in here, check our different exciter threads in here (lots of good knowledge in them).

someone else can answer the first one for you though i got rid of the whole thing and mix it straight in the tank instead, feels a lot safer:)

My string is attached to the y-pipe, works great:)

I have the same problem, so to counter it, I cleaned the rubber piece that fits in the reservoir really good with brake cleaner, and wrapped about 5 lengths of black electrical tape. Stuffed it back into a CLEAN hole, and now it seals just great.

Got the hood fixed and cable attached today. Will reseal the oil reservior tomorrow. What is the doohickey above the left side carb on the cylinder jug that has a cable connected to it that goes to a choke lever?

could be the compression release used to make pulling it over easier,most have been removed and plugged because they leak,thought they only came on 87's?

The date code stamped on my tunnel says 1987 so I assumed that it would be built in 87 for the 88 model year. Now that I have looked closer I see there is one on those compression releases on each cylinder, one seems to work, the other has a seized cable. I don't need them to start it and they don't seem to leak. This is my 2nd Exciter, the last one was a 92. I spent today going over the sled, checking bearings, chaincase, built a short windshield from UHMW. I'll take a few pics later. Got it for $400 and it runs beautifully!

It looks like the 87 and 88 Exciters came with the decompression release according to online microfiche sites. I'm planning to run the machine as is for the last month or two of riding here then I may attempt a summer project involving swapping the 570 motor into a ZRT 600 chassis. I have a ZRT 600 with a blown crank. It has decent suspension and a 136x2 track. I know these jobs tend to be very time consuming making something fit where it was never intended to go but I think this may be easier than longtracking the exciter chassis and improving the suspension as others have done here. I have a good friend who is a machinist and could help me build a motor mounting plate. I thought I would use the Yamaha primary and cat secondary. Whatta ya think?

dsc577 said:
stock yamaha primary may use a skinnier belt,maybe the cat primary would fit,

Exciter II primary should also be compatable with the Cat secondary. They were overdrive with a 1 3/8" belt.

opsled

Back