Viper Air Box Mod

sxviperfan

I Have An 02 Viper With Heel Clicker Clutch Kit And A Mbrp Race Can And I Was Wandering If I Cut A Rectangle Piece Out Of The Top And Removed The Inside Of The Box,would This Benefit Me In Any Way For Better Throttle Responce, Or Will This Hurt The Performance Of It.

Don't touch it

We just got done with my buddies Viper in which we removed sections of his airbox and tested it on the dyno. Not much gain at all. Maybe 1/2 hp, if that. It's not worth it.

More air can never hurt , may not be a huge hp gain but when the rule of thumb is $100 per horse power a 1/2 hp for free is worth it ..just my .02

The Viper dynoed at around 124hp.

I understand that every little bit helps, but generally when you make dyno runs, consecutive runs might not always be the same. The 1/2 hp gain was with just the bottom half of the air box installed. No top, no shelf, just the part that connects to the carbs.
The other interesting part was that with all that removed, there was little or no increase in cfm's. Which means that even with less restriction, the engine wasn't using it or not using it efficiently.
Also, the base specifics did not vary significantly, which means the jetting was not affected.

just my $.02

The stock airbox has some restriction, it has to, because when carbs are vented to the airbox you must change the jetting drastically. This means there is a vacuum being created within the box. yamaha has overcome this vacuum buy properly tunning the resonant chamber, I.E. shelf with tunning tubes. this creates pumping effect which forces air into the carbs, at higher rpm's. At lower rpm's the restrictive top plate helps with throttle response, by pulling fuel up the needles much quicker. The restrictive part of the box isn't the tubes in the shelf, it's the top plate of the box. has anyone ventilated the top plate with some holes, and left the shelf intact? I wouldn't put holes directly above the tunning tubes, cause the tubes use the top plate as a pulse reflector. maybe some holes between them, and in back? I believe that this is why bigger carbs don't do anything for power levels, cause eveyone removes the tunning shelf, and this screws up the pumping effect. If you look at the size of the top plate holes and look at the size of the tunning tubes, and compare them, I would say that the restriction lies within the top plate. It has about half the opening area. This is for noise, I'm pretty sure. I would not cut the slots larger, cause the ribbing is for strength. If a guy could open the restriction, keep the air box tunned, and install bigger carbs?????????????? Think I'll try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)!

Thunderproduct.com has TPI valves you put on the top shelf of air box. They claim 4.5hp gain at high speeds

Back