sxr 500 clutching project.

SRX500kid

okay, i am going to spruce up my clutches a little bit later this summer. i was going to get a new belt and a new primary spring. i was thinking about getting a wh-p-wh primary spring,(is this a good one?) the thing is i want to clean and lube and put the new spring but i have no idea how? can some one tell me how the get the belt off, clean and lube every thing and also how to put the primary spring in? please help?
thanks,
shane

p.s i was looking to bore out the stock exhaust too!

push back and twist the secondary rear sheave to open up the sheaves.Have parking brake on.Then the belt will drop down and grab the belt and slide it out of the sheaves.Remove belt out of sled.You need a clutch holder tool to hold primary solid.Then get primary clutch removal tool and pop primary off and start to dissemble it.The cover comes off and spring will be exposed.Remove it and check all you moving parts for wear..Give everything a good cleaning.Don't use any lube on internal clutch parts..ie)wd40 or oil.That will only collect belt dust.You can spray everything with brake clean and blow out.Better to wash it all in hot soapy water also.Clean sheaves with scuff pad as well.
In secondary check and replace spring as well..check the 3 black buttons for wear,most probably have to change them,they are very expensive..like $10 a piece.Remember what hole secondary spring is set into when you take apart.Actually all common sense stuff.You will have to spend some money to do the job correctly..maybe borrow some tools from someone nearby.

basic way to take clutch apart..lol This wasn't me..I wouldn't drop my socket on the floor 2 times.I usually use my drill or impact drill to spin off the blots quicker..You don't need the blot to compress the spring..you can simply kneel down on the top of clutch to compress spring in also and remove bolts with drill fast.Just some simple techniques.

Maybe I will make a video on clutch removal,dis-assembly,cleaning and install when I have nothing to do..and sticky it on the site..

http://youtu.be/YEDRlcytNR8

okay, um? lol! 1. how much is the clutch tool? and were can i get it?
2.i mite sound like a idiot. but is there any way you could give me a parts list on every thing like in the yamaha fiche?
3.should i clean it all together like in a sink with a lot of hot water and soap/ and scuff the clutches when it is back on and running?
4. a video would be great!!!

so far this is what i came up with from your disciption besides the air filter, mine is falling apart!lol

SHOE, RAMP for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
8AV-17688-10-00

YAMAHA
SPRING,TORSION for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
90508-536A9-00

YAMAHA
SPRING,COMPRESSION (WH-P-WH) for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
90501-583L5-00

YAMAHA
V-BELT for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
89L-17641-01-00

YAMAHA
ELEMENT ASY for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
8CR-14450-00-00

Total:
$142.54
:shock:

your local Yami dealer should have a clutch puller bolt.Aftermarket ones can be cheap and cause you more pain especially if the bolt snaps inside the clutch..do searchs on everything from the search button..read ..read and read more....and others will chime in once in a while to..Once you do it the first time..after that it is like riding your bike..lol
I am sure your dad will know some things to help you...I hope..

SRX500kid said:
so far this is what i came up with from your disciption besides the air filter, mine is falling apart!lol

SHOE, RAMP for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
8AV-17688-10-00

YAMAHA
SPRING,TORSION for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
90508-536A9-00

YAMAHA
SPRING,COMPRESSION (WH-P-WH) for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
90501-583L5-00

YAMAHA
V-BELT for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
89L-17641-01-00

YAMAHA
ELEMENT ASY for 2000 YAMAHA SX 500R
8CR-14450-00-00

Total:
$142.54
:shock:
depends on the miles on that clutch's..there are main bushings to change,rollers and maybe just roller bushings.There are the the plastic glides that wear out also.Will cost a few more bucks to do a proper re build.

well the sled has about 4500miles on her and i dont know if the privious owners did any thing with it. but i just took the belt off that was easy and it was a stock belt with numbers ending in 00-00! see the pic it is fried to me? i saw those plastic things for the helix (what it rides on) and thy don't look that worn out. i think they will be fine. the rollers are just a little rusty and don't have any play really. it has a red secondary spring and a blue-pink or red primay spring
should i get the wh-pink-wh one?
thanks for all you help!!!
shane
p.s my dad grew up in va and 2 years ago was his fist and as well as i season! hes not to mechanically inclined ether!!! lol!
pic!!!!
phone13013.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
YUK!! better start cleaning her up..what year is your sled??????You have to clean and inspect your clutch's at least at beginning of every season.Blow belt dust from inside every once in a while as it build's up..Give the sheave's a good scuffing up as well.Rollers can be shined up again using a green scuff pad and polish away.

as long strands are not pulling all the way out.Take a torch and burn off the little pieces.Check the width of belt to see if it is within spec yet.You can adjust for belt width by adding washers to the 3 bolts behind secondary sheave.This will bring the belt up to proper level.Once you have passed the proper width or strands are really pulling out all around,then install new belt and don't use any washers on them bolts and adjust from there.

90501-551L3-00 SPRING, COMPRESSION | (BL-P-BL) $15.34
89L-17641-01-00 BELT $37.99
8CR-14450-00-00 ELEMENT ASSY, AIR CLEANER $21.54

Last edited:
bluemonster1 said:
as long strands are not pulling all the way out.Take a torch and burn off the little pieces.Check the width of belt to see if it is within spec yet.You can adjust for belt width by adding washers to the 3 bolts behind secondary sheave.This will bring the belt up to proper level.Once you have passed the proper width or strands are really pulling out all around,then install new belt and don't use any washers on them bolts and adjust from there.
what do you mean? i am just going to put a new belt on. are you saying that when the secondary shifts that the belt dose not go down all the way?
:o| i also noticed that i can move the secondary and there is 2 to 3 washers worth of play. the bolt holding it on stays stationary. is this a another problem?

p.s be for i took the belt off i have always seen the belt flush with the top. i think it is just dirty
p.ss i just put on the get me home belt that looked a little better and it seemed to shift fine i think i will just order those scuff pads, new belt, and the stock primary and secondary spring, and a lot of brake cleaner!!! :yam:

Last edited:
when you install new belt it will sit higher because of width and probably squeal.There are alot of info on this..do a search.Adjust belt height with the 3 bolts behind secondary sheave..to get it right.

from my manual:

When installing the new V-belt, make sure that it
is positioned from 1.5 mm (0.06 in) above the
edge of the secondary sheave to –0.5 mm (–0.020
in) below the edge a.
If the V-belt is not positioned correctly, the clutch
engagement speed will be changed. The machine
may move unexpectedly when the engine
is started.
Adjust the V-belt position by removing or adding
a spacer 1 on each adjusting bolt 2.
CAUTION:
As the V-belt wears, adjustment may be necessary.
To ensure proper clutch performance, the Vbelt
position should be adjusted by adding a spacer
on each adjusting bolt when the V-belt position
reaches 1.5 mm (0.06 in) below the edge.
New belt width:
34.5 mm (1.36 in)
Belt wear limit width:
32.5 mm (1.28 in)
1. Measure:
· V-belt position a
NOTE:
Install the new V-belt onto the secondary sheave
only. Do not force the V-belt between the sheaves;
the sliding and fixed sheaves must touch each
other.
Standard V-belt height a: