Track/Studs?

01Vmax89

Hey Guys I got a 01 Vamx 500 Got about 3700 on it track is still stock luggs are worn down to about 3/4" Mainly stock engine wise now, Hopefully this summer getting reeds, jetted, heads milled, and ported and polished. Been having trouble lately with icy/hardpacked conditions. It'd doesn't seem to want to hook up and #$%&* end wants to go broad side half the time. even when doing 40 and punching it spins hard core when the powerband kicks in. Thinking about switching out to a new cone design 15x121x1 or 15x121x1.187 then possibly throwing 96 woody's in there. ANyone got any ideas? Manly agressive trial and some playing on local lakes, Still like playing in the powder when we get it

Last edited:

The Cone track is not bad on the trail but off trail it sucks... I would look at a 9830 or sometihng like that style. 1" Ripsaw would be ideal but I dont think anything is available.

run 120 woodys down the center. hooks up good for messing around not for draging tho. thats what i did and i am happy. the reason why i say down the middle is because it will make your track last longer with less worry of spiting studs out. opposed to where you put them in the sides.

Hey Guys
Mr SLed thanks yammy catalog only had the six pitch in a 1.25, still thinking about running 96 for the time being cost wise and many people say running um down the middle still allows to bring it around in conners. Still determing the "V" pattern or this one from woodys96 Pattern
Or waiting on a design that some one is going to email me.
Track pattern seems to look like it would take the V pattern Nicely.

Dunno if I should go with the Gold Diggers, or the Stainless Steel Carbides, Looking at the gold diggers with aluminum square backers, questioning the angled backers?

Last edited:
Get a 9830H (1" predator) pre-drilled 144 holes. Put as many studs in as you like. Add more later if you want more hook up. I just put one these one and put 96 studs in the middle but haven't tried yet as we've had no snow yet. I can't want to compare it to the stock track based on what I've read here.

Anyone experienced the difference of the Angled backers vs the Flat ones. Do they really make a difference?

I have use them....they help hold the stud upright ....better traction but they dont work the best on some of the new style tracks. The need to lean against the lugs.

IT's snowing here!

Well guys decided on The Six Pitch 1" picked with 96 Woody's Gold Diggers W/ square aluminum backers. What size woody's would I want for 5/16 over the lug? Anyone have any good places for cheap prices? Thx

Lug Direction

Hey guys,
got a question about the lug direction. couple of friends on larises said it look backwards since the lug looks like this for the part track that is on the ground \| yet they said that one of there othere friends yammys is like this. Should it be the other way? stock track that I know of can't seem to find any directionals on it. Do they do this for better braking or what? If ya could lemme know that'd be great. Shouldn't it hook up better and have more support behind the lugs the other way?

Last edited:
Now she don't hook up for crap and will spin just about all the way to 50 on packed ground

I was told to go with the round backers. The square ones can turn on the track causing them to dig in at a bad angle. The round ones if they turn, only turn in a circle thereby decreasing the likelyhood of it cutting into the track like the "point" of a square one would. Just what I was told... I used the round ones.

Ya True True, but does the extra surface area on the square ones out weight this possibility? Anyone know what way the track lugs accually should be facing shouldn't the flat side be facing the rear of the sled where the track touches the ground?

Not sure about that.... just went with what some of my more experienced rider friends told me. And I'm not sure the surface area of the square ones is any more than the round ones I used. The round ones I used are pretty big.

Lug DIrection

ANyone? heard the flat side of the lug is for accleration which makes sinc, since that leave better traction and more support for the lug supposably. Then I heard the flat side of the lug is for braking, which would make since. Heard both ways and can't find any directionals on the stock track. :rockon:

Back