BADDD oil leak!

venture700

I just put my motor in a few days ago to find out that the water pump is leaking so a few hours ago i took the motor back out to find my exhaust pipe had about 2 litres of oil in it :O WHATS GOING ON? I did have the oil injection unhooked for the past 4 years until my water pump shaft wore out because of it. so this time I decided to hook it back up and this is what happened. I know when the pumps go bad they stick wide open but would it cause a leak this bad even with the machine shut off? my whole motor is full of oil. Im pretty sure I got all the oil lines in the right places. and the check valve going to the fuel pump is pointing towards the fuel pump, the oil injection tank is connected to the bottom inlet on the oil pump and the middle is connected to the the fuel pump and the top inlet is connected to the bottom of the crank case. im not sure what to do here. any help would be good at this point. thanks!

I dont have any good ideas on this one, but for future viewers: could you see that the oil tank drained down. also I'm not too up to speed on the ventures but do they have the direct oiling lines to the bearings through the cases like the PV motors. if so how were you oiling those lines when you had the injection disconnected?

yes the oil tank drained down alot maybe 6 inches. yes my redhead non power valve do have lines going to the bearings in the case... I was just pre mixing my gas 50:1 and it worked perfect for all those years. I know my bearings were not getting the lubrication they shuld have got but I dident know the difference back then. my water pump shaft and the gear on the crank wore out completely smooth so then my crank was garbage. every bearing on the crank was still in good condition tho...

for starters, the check valve on the main oil line should face the crankcase, not the fuel pump. theres an arrow on it, be sure its oriented correctly. you may also want to verify that valve is working properly.

from there, as you have probably guessed, something may be routed incorrectly. i would start with the check valve.

ok so i just started workin at the pump to see if everything is working properly in there. and it surprised the hell out of me. everything in the whole pump is wore out. all the teeth on all the gears and shafts are gone. i guess not running oil through the oil pump for 4 years (20,000 km) will not only mess up the water pump but completely destroy the oil pump! im very luckey i got a good spare one... snowdad4 im wondering if your talking about the check valve going from the oil pump to the puel pump? I now have that one connected with the arrow pointed towards the fuel pump (i read a few posts sayin point it in the direction of suction) and yes that check valve works properly i just tested it... but even if the pump is destroyed inside would that make this happen? I got a feeling it will happen again.

There is a check valve that is in the oil line that goes to the bottom of the crankcase. That's the one snowdad is talking about I'm sure. That one should point to the case like he mentioned as well.

EDIT: You can kind of see the check valve in this picture on the left line about halfway through it.

Attachments

• 283522_10150754041745201_5181105_n.jpg
    283522_10150754041745201_5181105_n.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
thanks for the pic! there is no check valve on mine going from the oil pump to bottom crank case. im not sure why! I only have 1 check valve like I said before going from the oil pump to fuel pump. so i guess this could be the cure to my whole problem? ill start looking for a check valve to throw in there along with my good oil pump. I know there are 2 check valves now because I was looking at a parts blow up on babbitts and your right there are 2 check valves... just to make sure: the 2 check valves are pointing AWAY from the oil pump right??

correct. 2 valves. the one to the fuel pump the arrow points to the fuel pump. arrow points to the case on the other one.

in theory, with no check valve, any pressure built up will let the oil flow somewhere. i have seen the fuel lines fill with oil when the valve fails.

as for your oil pump question, i am no expert on those, but i dont think the condition of yours would cause the flow of oil you have experienced. when they go out, they go full open, but in design the engine would need to be running.

i would replace the pump, add the new check valve, and see what happens from there. on the bright side, an engine full of oil isnt all that bad, things will be well lubed. be sure to get as much out as possible, you dont want to hydrolock and bend rods. slow pulls with the plugs removed, even the pipes off. dont be surprised if you fowl a few plugs once shes all back together.

ok shes all back together now with 2 chack valves going in the right directions, good oil pump, all of the oil drained out of the pipe, and the seals changed in the water pump.I will let the loctite dry overnight on the water pump so hopefully this time everything works out! ill keep you guys posted on what happens. thanks guys

Back