New guy....

Denny B

I'm new here, having registered today and for my 1st post I thought I'd post a couple of pics of my '89 Phazer ll I bought 2 years ago. I had to rebuild the seat so I used a can of expanding foam, sandpaper and a new cover. Its not perfect but I think it came out ok. Other than that, there wasn't much to do to it except clean it up. I sold a boat a few years ago and put the Garmin 172C GPS with a vv mapping chip onto the sled for my ice fishing trips and perhaps a little trail riding. A quick question if I may...the two shocks in the suspension seem to function properly but I'm not sure about the two in the steering unit. Is there a way to check it there is still gas in them? Thanks for looking and any info you may have.

DSCF0494_0173.jpg

DSCF0490_0169.jpg

Nice ride! Welcome to the TY Forum!!! Nice peeps here, with a lot of good, solid, knowledge of mostly Yamaha sleds; but, occasionally some of those "other" sleds too!!! Kinda new myself. Glad to have you with us!

You might want to look into just having them rebuilt- around here it runs $30-$35 each. wala! That will give you peace of mind, and your ride will improve as well. They are nitrogen filled (usually) - not sure if you can "test" them, or check w/ a pressure guage though... Someone with more insight will chime in here to give you the answer to your actual question I'm sure.

Great sled that will last forever if you warm the moter up before rideing.The links that sit behind the front shocks do the steering and sieze up over the years.Start spraying them now as well as the ski bolts before you install a kit to rebuild everything.

Thanks for the welcome. I've looked into rebuilding the shocks and will be having it done as its not something I feel capable of doing. I wish I were more mechanically inclined but I never got into it. I learned along time ago (the hard way) to let those who know what they're doing, do so.
bluewho....... One of the first things I did was spray all those links with some stuff called Blue Grease. They'll get another shot before riding season gets here.

Nice old Phazer!!!! Like others have said....make sure carbs are clean...and no mice nests between the cylinders under the engine fan shroud and it should live forever!!!
Unfortunately the front struts (shocks) for the front suspension are not rebuildable/rechargeable TSS units like the original Vmax/SRV struts were. The actual shocks inside the front strut tubes are like the size of rear window gas struts for automobiles...if you can believe it.....you may have no choice but to see if yamaha still makes them as they should, they sold a million of those 1st generation phazers!!!!
rear shocks you'll have many aftermarket options....and like others have said -the front steering linkage gets very sloppy after time - take it apart and at least grease it up - maybe replace some of the collars/bushings!!!
fyi - you get used to the steering slop a little when you ride it.
almost forgot - welcome. this is the awesomest yamaha site anywhere!!!
and.............GO GREEN!!!!! (like your flag in the garage)

Last edited:
Ha.....mice nests....I bought the sled two years ago right at the end of February and the gent I bought it from hadn't used it in several years. I found had a huge nest in it that freaked my wife out when I pulled a dead mouse out of it. She has no humor at all. I did have it checked over by a dealer who cleaned the carbs and checked the compression in the cylinders...130lbs in both and gave it a quick overall look. He said it seemed to be in pretty decent shape for an old sled. I went out on Saginaw Bay (12 miles) just once after that but with the lack of snow and safe ice last year, it never left the garage. I really hope that things are far different this year.

Back