2012 carb cleaning and viper needle settings

You got to be kidding me? The book says 0,5 increments.

did ya go and measure it?? do you know how to? If you really wanna get your mind blown I have some .001" thick shims to put it in between each clip groove by at least 2 spots....... lol. Airplanes use needle shims in .001" thick increments, same size as those in a Yamaha snowmobile....its called fine tuning!

just because its not listed in a oem service manual does NOT mean its not possible.

I know how to tune in 0,5 increments. The Yamaha washers are 0,4 mm thick as far as I know. If you put less than combined 0,8 mm of shims to hold it in place, won't the clip rattle and fall of then or do you use another clip as well? However, there are actually 3 ways to set the clip and the washers on the needle, so I don't know what that one setting would be.carbneedle2.jpg

Last edited:
no, it wouldn't fall off as it would be below the clip and captured between the slide and the needle clip if your shimming it to in between spots of the grooves. The only reason I tell you about putting the clips on top of the clip is to merely store them there so they don't get lost, they are doing nothing there for placement of the needle.

They don't get lost of fall off because the cover with bracket inside of the slide captures them in the recess.

I think I have chew on that for a while. Now, what position would both washers on top of the clip in position 3 be?

I would encourage you to go take a carb apart and use a caliper to measure whats happening to the needle position when you change the shims and don't use shims,etc. The only way your going to learn how to do fine tuning is do it and teach yourself whats happening.

if your clip was in groove 3 and you had no shims under the clip the real position would be a 2.25. The slide has a small recess in it, the factory shims fills that recess, so since you have the recess the needle will sit lower then the actual clip groove is with no shims under it. you only get the actual clip position with both factory shims under the clip. Yes, I know the manual doesn't show a 1/4 setting, this is why I told you go and measure it......

the factory only needs to put out a manual covering basic settings, (its a generic book)not fine tune settings, they don't know if grandma bought the sled or a racer bought the sled.

Theres a million ways to do modify a sled engine and its componets, carbs are also the same.

Ironically I recently measured the shims vs clip notch differences. I didn't log the numbers. So I mite be off a bit thought a shim was 0.015. The clip notches measured 0.035. So removing the two shims from the under the "C" clip on the middle notch is 0.030 drop on the needle . This is slightly richer then raising the "C" clip one notch higher and adding two shims under witch drops the needle by 0.035.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, in order to achieve my 3.25 goal. Just simply put the clip in the fourth position with no washers under it and that is 3.25 you suggest for guys who ride moderate to fast ? Going to go ahead and do this if so, I feel 3.5 is too much for me

Back