How to make a "97 700 sx have longer travel

Sx700

Are there any inexpensive ways (under $300) to make an sx have longer travel? I've read other posts about using viper shocks and what not.. But i really don't know what is involved in doing this. Any help would be great! THANKS!!!

I'm in the same boat with my SRX. I think I may buy a used RX-1 skid for $300 some and just bolt it in instead of modifying shocks for the same price. I don't know of any real cheap way of doing it otherwise.

This past summer sent out my shocks to pioneer performance for their long travel on my 2002 SRX. Can't believe the difference WOW! Probably the best $ I've spent on sled stuff. Advantage to this over just buying shocks is the revalving. Also my shocks only had 800 miles on them, just bought the sled last Jan. as a left over brand new.

I am currently in the process of doin just that. I found some long travel shocks, from betheviper for 120 bucks . lengthen the limiters out as far as could go( put new holes in) when i get it together ,ill let you know how it rides!

I am wondering the same thing, I have an m-10 on the back, it is awsome!! But what to do with the front? The front has 7 inch travel. Should I just leave it, or try to extend it? If I extend the travel will it make the center of gravity too high? Any ideas?

Bob

Is that all you have to do then? Is just replace the rear shocks with some from a viper and lengthen the limiter straps? What about putting the viper shocks on the front?

Bob Quale said:
I am wondering the same thing, I have an m-10 on the back, it is awsome!! But what to do with the front? The front has 7 inch travel. Should I just leave it, or try to extend it? If I extend the travel will it make the center of gravity too high? Any ideas?

Bob
Bob,
Have you had problems with the M-10 torque arm bolts loosening up and egging out? Isn't the two holes overlapping simply ridiculous. I've got to believe they did this intentionally so you would have to replace the torque arms and they could make another $50 off ya in the process. I'd like to get a bunch of sets machined properly and take pictures and sell them on the internet to embarass FAST. They won't even admit that there's a problem and I've seen it on every Yamaha with an M-10 installed. No matter how much you torque them the will loosen up and egg out. I drilled one size larger and installed grade 8 bolts with loctite blue on a sled I sold to a friend, I'll have to take a look and see how well they're holding up.

Tom

Sx700 said:
Is that all you have to do then? Is just replace the rear shocks with some from a viper and lengthen the limiter straps? What about putting the viper shocks on the front?
Thats pretty much it sx,

I have the pioneer perf. long travel rear set up,nice thing about it, is it's drop out travel or set it which ever you prefer,any ways it doesnt effect a bit of the handling, plus the shocks are valved to your body weight,im 215 lbs and it rides great, corners the same if not a little better,put this together with a set of quick rods and 144-168 studs depending on the track your running,and you got one of the best trail mannered sleds yamaha makes.. i love my set up have had the LT 2 yrs and its perfect for the trails i ride,still great in the powder too.

Viper sniper,

Do you mean the rear tourqe arm? Mine has a single hole threw the back plate, then the tunnel, then through the plate with the letter reference. I only have 2000 miles on mine but no problem so far. I just went out to see to be sure. Let me know if I am looking at the right part.

Bob

Alright I just bought a brand new pair of Viper shocks off of Ebay for $350 front and back. Got one more question for you guys, one of the guys I ride with has a 1995 v-max 600 with the crappy suspension, if I put the shocks that are on my "97 on his rear with that give him some more travel? I rode his sled for the first time last weekend and I understand why he rides so slow now, every bump you hit your off the seat! THANKS for all your help guys!! ;)!

I wanted to bring this thread back to see if anyone had done anything with there front suspension? Making it have more travel that is.

Bob

Just a note for other options on long-travel SX's. I went with Works Performance 2 winters ago. I think the cost was $850 for all four shocks. With a 'normal' setup, ride height is about 1/2" higher than an XTC long-travel sled. Ride is *better* than the XTC, the compression and rebound damping are lower. Cornering roll is higher, but not a problem.

I ride at high speeds (85mph) between corners, on trails with little snow and lot's of 1-foot dips. With the stock suspension set for maximum ride height, I'd have to slow down and stand to survive. Now, I can just sit down and ride.

I had the springs sack out a bit, and then preloaded them quite high last fall. I don't know if this will be a continuing problem... Also, the front shocks wept a little oil. I'd guess 1/4 of a teaspoon total. There are two springs per shock, and you can adjust 'crossover' between them.

I think if these shocks/springs hold up, that this is a good alternative to modifying the stock shocks, plus you get long-travel front shocks. I think the damping is perfect for high speeds, with no sharp shocks transmitted, and fast rebound (but doesn't kick the seat up). The feel is like a long-travel cross-county cycle-cushy, but well-behaved.

Here's a pic:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ladlueck/maxperf.jpg

Well I finished installing all the shocks, not to bad of a job. 2 brand new viper shocks in the back, and 2 new ones up front. Raised the front alot around 2 inches and the back about 1 inch over stock height. I just got back from riding it out west in Illinois (we finally got some snow!!) And it does ride alot better, the front end seems to light though so I'll have to do some adjustments. Im heading north next week so that will be the big test, as far as the handling part goes. THNAKS for all the help!!!! ;)!

The back was simple bolt up and go....But the front shocks had to be customized a little, the stock SX shocks have inlets or holes on each end where they mount to the sled, but the viper shocks have a inlet on one end and two forks on the other. So basicially I had to open the forks up a little on the end that mounts to the sled and put a spacer in between(look at where your shocks mount you'll see what I mean.) and then I had to re align the front end, it made the skis way outta wack, but it really isn't as hard as it sounds. I think it took me roughly an hour per side. As far as extra linkage I didn't have to buy and extenders or anything, it went surprisingly well. The same guy I bought my shocks from has another set up on ebay, I paid $350 with shipping for a set of brand new ones rear and fronts.

Last edited:
I will sell ya my 02 sx skid. It has the long travel, shocks and all. About 1500 miles on the skid.

SX, I've heard of having to install a bushing on the sled for the fronts. Is that the spacer you're talking about? Did you make it or buy it? As for realigning I assume that you mean you had adjust the toe in?

I bought the bushing from Yamaha part # 8CR-2376B-00-00 it's the bushing for the viper, you need it where the ski attaches to frame. And yes your right you have to adjust the toe, it's really easy to do though, The steering was off by a little bit to, but thats easy to do to, all in all I think the front was easier to do than the back. Im heading to the UP tonight so I'll let you know how they end up working.

Back