RE: Speedometer-cable-sliced-by-clutch MYSTERY SOLVED!!

Skullnick

RE: Speedometer-cable-sliced-by-clutch MYSTERY SOLVED!!

Hi Everyone,
Well, with help from BLUEBALLER, NorthmanSX & Crewchief47 ;)! I was able to get my speedometer functional again with minimum headaches. Why the gear housing that holds the speedo cable was at the 12:00 oclock position rather than it original position (9:00 oclock) is because when my belt popped to smitherines it was a mess of tangled rubber and strings and threads which took me a good 30minutes to remove, the speedo cable got picked up by the wipping and winding parts of the belt and with the force actually pulled on the speedo cable and forced the shaft within the housing to rotate 90 degrees (CW), this put the cable directly in the clutch-pullys path severing the cable approx 1.5inches from the housing connection.....(Yamaha engineers/designers, take notes :wink: )

I'm happy to report, when I first thought I also had to change the gear housing and asked the dealer for part cost they were honest enough to tell me that it is extremely rare for the gear housing comp to break....it was a 3$ pin connection that gave way inside the gear housing (thumbs up to an honest dealer, Allary Yamaha in St-Antoine-des-Laurentides in Quebec)

Hope this helps out anyone with a similar problem!
Nick :rockon:

glad to hear everything worked out and it only cost you an extra $3. plus belt and cable of course.

Back