97 SX 600 excessive oil consumption

hibshman25

tya
My buddies 97 600 sx used almost a whole tank of oil for one tank of gas while riding this weekend. The other 97 Sx 600 in our group didn't go through near that much. The oil pump was replaced before by the prior owner due to similar problems. The pump on the sled only has 3 months use on it. I know it was replaced because he sent the old pump with. maybe it just needs to be set? i noticed two tick marks engraved in the pump housing and one on the acuall lever connected to the cable. how do you set this up??

The manual says to line up the marks, but I use Amsoil, and have doubled my oil milage on my 500. Either it's way out of wack, or the pump is crap again. Good luck!

What tick mark do i use on the oil pump housing? There are two of them. Should it be the one closer to the front of the sled or rear of the sled? Thanks in advance for any help!

there should be a line on the pump boss to line up with the line on the lever.
but I lined it up with the edge of the lever to save on oil
I can look for sure on that sled tonight but I would bet that how I did it

that's right, there's the line on the crank bell, then two on the pump. Set it up so the pump isn't geting opened as much.

Thing is, if you have a problem in the pump, it will suck oil just the same, as the oil pump is wide open after 1/2 throttle anyway. If it's been worked on, the dealer should warranty the work and parts. All you can do is try! Good luck!

There was a recall of sorts for the pump. When it broke the oil consumption was real bad. You might want to check the pump just to be on the safe side.

On the plus side too much oil is so much better than no oil at all.

Back