What sled should I replace my Mountain Max with?

suva57

...Or should I just keep it?

I'm thinking about buying a newer sled, thinking of an M7 or IQ chassis 600 HO. I don't think a four stroke would be a good choice for me.

I was told the poo 600s are one of the more reliable newer 2 strokes and I like the idea of keeping carbs.

It still runs good, but needs bushings etc and is starting to look a little haggard. I was planning on new skis, track and boss seat but it seems like a bad idea to dump $1000 into a $1000 sled that will never perform as well as a newer sled.

There are lots of nice M7s and 600HOs for under $4k.

suva57 said:
It still runs good, but needs bushings etc and is starting to look a little haggard. I was planning on new skis, track and boss seat but it seems like a bad idea to dump $1000 into a $1000 sled that will never perform as well as a newer sled.

There are lots of nice M7s and 600HOs for under $4k.

have you ever seen powermodz on youtube? he shows up how an old sled can be turned into an amazing performer with a couple grand and a bit of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkx7GaRF_zU

skip the 600, you wont be happy. the m's are good performers, but i would look more to the 8's than the 7's.

if you happen across the rare 7 poo from 05ish, rock solid platform there.

snowdad4 said:
skip the 600, you wont be happy. the m's are good performers, but i would look more to the 8's than the 7's.

if you happen across the rare 7 poo from 05ish, rock solid platform there.
You mean an Edge chassis? or did they use the older 700 motor for an early IQ?

I heard the 06-07? 700 motors were iffy.

iq chassis, a-arm style, not trailing arm. may have been first out in 06. the 700 has never had the issues the 800's or the flopping 900 did. almost as reliable as the yamahas.

Have heard and seen lots of good about the M7 . Would take one of them if you don't like the 4's .

Why in the world would you want a m7 my mm stomps them along with most 800s! I dont know what mods you've done but gear it port it pipe it and some reeds and you will have a heck of a sled to tear it up on!!!!!

I'd say an M7 would be a good choice for a next step sled. I have and still ride my 03' MM. I've done plenty of mods to it over the years from slp pipes, clutching, 151" track and so on and I've been more than happy with it. However, I also own a 06' M7 153". I'm not claiming the cat is the best sled in the world but price wise, you get a lot of bang for your buck. The M7 out climbs the MM by a bit but there will never be a comparison when it comes to the handling of A-arm suspension over the old trailing arm setup (oh, and nearly 100lbs less). It's kind of like comparing apples and oranges. All this said, The MM is a great sled, and I'll run it till it dies.

I went from an 01 MM700 to a nytro and regretted it. I sold the MM so i ended up going to a 2010 M8. Very happy with the cat. 2200 trouble free miles so far. Not sure if I'll get the 10,000 miles out of the cat motor that I did with the mountain max. The thing I really liked about the M8 was I didn't have to do any mods to it. I left it stock other than a few suspension tweaks and I ride it. I dumped all kind of money into the MM700 to get it to where it should have been out of the box. I have a few friend with the early build 06 cat 700s and they have over 6000 miles with zero trouble. It's a great stronng chasis!

Why in the world would you want a m7 my mm stomps them along with most 800s! I dont know what mods you've done but gear it port it pipe it and some reeds and you will have a heck of a sled to tear it up on!!!!!
I'm not interested in motor mods, and honestly I'm fine with the amount of power my 87 octane burning mountain max makes. Do I want more? Hell yeah, but no matter what that will be the case and I do not want an unreliable mod sled.

gonna be hard to beat the reliability of your mm. look for a newer nicer one of what ya already have.
I was thinking about that until I rode my buddy's new polaris again.

norwegian said:
Summit XM or RMK 11 or newer
I've been thinking about a new 13 RMK600 155, non-quickdrive model unless they vibrate like the poo 8s, anybody know?

I rode an XM a couple weeks ago, I liked the way it handled (other than a couple quirks) but the poos climb on top of the snow a lot better and replacement parts are a lot less expensive.

Back