Exciter vs SS440

northerngn

Are Exciters faster than SS440's?

I ask cause I recently put together a exciter for a buddy and that thing gets to 80mph on the dash gauge super fast!
My 83 SS440 with a 81 SS440 emgine has never gotten up to that mph but the thing run's like a top
Am I missing something here?
Maybe retest once its fitted with my 44mm mikuni round slide?
-Dan

my SS440 in mild race trim will spank my exciters that have a little more engine work done to them and neither one is slow by any means the exciter may get ya on top but should take a while to pass ya considering the SS is a torque monster compared to the exciter ............in stock form they should be almost dead even

Stock vs stock very close. Really comes down to clutching, rider weight, and traction. The exciter does have a weight advantage to start with.

I wouldn't horse with a roundslide on one unless you're racing it.

If you're getting beat buy an Exciter you just need to tune. We had/ran/road and bought them new back in the day. The 80 SS was a slug but the rest were very comparable in all aspects to the last Exciters in performance. I wouldn't call it one sided either way. All depended on who's sled was in the best tune. The SS has more potential because of the cylinder/intake design. Basically they were a 540 with a smaller bore.

All great sleds.

opsled

opsled said:

If you're getting beat buy an Exciter you just need to tune. We had/ran/road and bought them new back in the day. The 80 SS was a slug but the rest were very comparable in all aspects to the last Exciters in performance. I wouldn't call it one sided either way. All depended on who's sled was in the best tune. The SS has more potential because of the cylinder/intake design. Basically they were a 540 with a smaller bore.

All great sleds.

opsled

well said phil .........yes the 80 was a turd but after a ignition update and carb udate they are just as good as the other ss440's as far as weight goes the 80 is the heaviest (more steel) .........as far as weight compared to the exciter they (yamaha) claims the ss to be light by 15 lbs .......i know my 83 is much lighter than my 80 ......and compared to the exciter the 83 might be lighter i should weigh them once and find out

Don't know how accurate it is but I have an old NADA book that has the 80 Exciter at 390 lbs dry. 80 SS they have at 380 dry and 81 SS at 397.

They were close. The SS chassis stripped to tunnel/bulhead is lighter than an Exciter. This I know as I have weighed them.

opsled

Owned them both 2 x 78's,2 x 79s and 80 Exciters. All were stock with minor tune. 80, 2 82"s and 2 84's SS versions all stock with an 84 with comet clutch. The 84 SS with the comet clutch was the funnest and fastest of all by far. Raced and stayed close or beat to many 500 liquid poos and doo's. Nice leafer sleeper in its day ;)! Tune is the diff for sure !
Blue

opsled said:

All great sleds.

opsled

Adding the 44mm really woke my sled up
I now feel it is faster than the prev mentioned exciter...
I did multiple races against 2 different 90's era ploaris indy 500s and spanked them both
I loved how they kept commenting on how hard my sled launches
Love that stiffer spring in my 102c ;)!
-Dan

Back