SRV 540 popping throught exhaust Help!

sween741

Hi everyone, I have a 1989 SRV 540 it ran fine last year, got it out of storage and tried to fire it up. It ran but idled rough and then when I gave it gas there was a loud bang out the exhaust and then died. So I figured the carb needed cleaned but after I rebuilt it nothing changed. So I figured I didn't get the carb clean enough so I cleaned it again. Still no change idles rough give it gas and it pops (sounds like a shot gun going off) then dies. ANY IDEAS!

Thanks

Yes i removed the jets, float, seat etc. Nothing looked pluged up and no gummed up gas in bowl. Cleaned with carb cleaner and blew out with compressed air. There is not much to the carb on this sled.

youll need to take carb apart again, remove pilot jet and stick the plastic strw from carb cleaner into the carb where the pilot jet screws in, when you spray it, the fluid should come out of the orfice in the front of the carb. The pilot jet should show light thru it when you look thru the end, make sure all the little holes are open on sides. I usually use a single strand of copper wire from like 12 guage wire to clean out the jets and passages, the cleaner has to pass thru cleanly or its plugged up.

did you remove the fuel screw as well and blow that out?

either way somthing is plugged up in the carb, youll need to redo it and also put some fresh gas in the sled if this is the first start up after storage all summer, this gas these days is absolute JUNK!

No I havent but i will look at for a nest tonight
If there was i would have thought pieces of the nest would have shot out when it backfired the way it did

Recleaned the carb really well,no help, still idleing rough, sometimes pops through exhaust, and no power when I give it gas. Checked compression and spark both good. Plugs were wet when i looked at them after running for a minute. What else could it be?

my exciter was doing this recently,try half choke see if its better,mine was fine then,blew out the fuel inlets real good with needle and seat out,air screw passages,and pilot passage,all good now,also had backfiring out one pipe which helped narrow it down

I cleaned all of the passages out on the carb already. And it has new plugs.
It does have fuel from last winter in it but I put stabil in it. My viper has the same fuel in it that this sled does but it runs fine. So I don't know how the fuel is the issue?

backfiring is a lean symptom, so you must have a air leak somewhere then if your carb and circuits are indeed clean. Could be crankseals, could be carb boot, reed block gasket, youll need to spray carb cleaner around these spots and see if the idling rpm changes.

Ok, I ran the sled tonight and it idles ok and when I give a little throttle it sounds good but no power over that won't rev up past 2000 rpm. Its not lean because I have gas and oil coming out exhaust and the plugs are wet. The tors is already bypassed. Could cdi box be bad from sitting over winter?

so now its idling ok and running...but wont rev up now

take off the pipe and check for a mouse nest, blow compressed air in and see if it comes out in full force or is muffed down, if it wont rev and rich looking usually thats a restriction in exh. system, i.e. #$%&* mouse nest........

Back