1979 Enticer Hand Warmer Question

BordnBill

My son's 79 Enticer use to has handwarmers on it, but the original owner said they haven't worked in some time. So I bought a set of 2 wire hand warmer elements and trying to figure out how to wire them in. I'm trying to figure out first, how the handwarmers that didn't work were wired in. Looks like in the engine compartment under the air box there is a resistor of some sort. It has two prongs coming out of it. Both wires coming out lead to the switch or handwarmer element. Question is, did the enticer ever come with factory handwarmers? Reason I ask is, the resistor seems to be glued or something to the engine compartment. But for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out, how they connected the 12v power for those handwarmers. I'm afraid to yank out that resistor thing without knowing if this was part of the sled originally. My new handwarmer elements have a resistor in line. One wire coming out one end and another wire out the other end that splits half way up into two wires.

been along time since i wired a set of those in, but hot grips brand was always the product available.

more than likely not original equipment on that sled, but the basics should apply. dont quote me on this, but the power supply (usually tapping the lighting circuit)i recall as going directly to the switch, then to the resistor, back to either the grip or the switch. seems like the resistor gave the high/low option on the heaters.

if the existing grips have continuity, the problem i always had on the older sleds with add on heat was the loss of ground.

peruse the internet for a hot grip wiring diagram or similar. if you cant find anything, i can dig one of the old sleds out and see how it was done.

yes resister was for the hi/lo option but to start connect one wire from each hand warmer together ............then from either warmer one of the wires go to ground and the last wire goes to the switch ...........i will look i have a diagram i made up for hot grips don't remember which of my computers it is on if not i will draw you one up quick and email it to you

Thanks guys. Here's my newest dilemma. I was trying to figure out how the hell the wiring to the headlight was done from the previous owner. I will try to explain the best I can. Wires from the Hi/Low switch are Blue, Green and Yellow. I see a green, yellow, and black coming out of the headlight socket. The black terminates as the ground. Now this is where it gets funny. Below the headlight socket about 12 inches, I found what looks to be a wire splice or connector that the previous owner installed. The green wire goes straight to the headlight. A yellow wire enters one end and exits that same end to the headlight. A blue wire enter the other end of the connector and a green wire exits. The green wire looks to be added by the owner. But that green wire is just laying there by the tool box not hooked to anything. From what I understand, the blue wire is the power wire for the hi/low switch. So, I removed the connector and soldered the yellow wire together so now it goes straight to the headlight socket. Not sure what to do with the blue wire? Since it's not connected, where does this wire go? Could I use this as the power for the handwarmers? Not sure how the hi/low switch will work when I only see the green and yellow wires are hooked up. Thanks.

Back