V-max troubles

V-Maximum

Recently I rebuilt my clutches with the same set up as Vmax johns 500 vmax.
mine is a 97 500 xt. When I first put it all together it ran awesome skis in the air with my new ripsaw track.
Until one day on a ride I started to notice that the engine had a muffell at around 7000 rps. I noticed that if I nailed the throttle it would be worse.
I know its not the clutches because I havent put 1000 miles on them yet.
I have 125 pounds of compression. I checked the reeds they are fine. What could it be?
thanks for all the help
V-Maximum

i'd say change the plugs,mine will do that on the top once in awhilt.i take it to mid range and clear it out,stock mains seem real rich.

Good advice here. Also, don't run premium, it burns cooler, and our sleds like 87 best.

Jetting down is easy and cheap, 150's are safe for most places around the snowbelt, they are in Michigan anyway! I ran mine in very cold temps in Ontario with zero problems.

Also, check your choke plungers, you might have one sticking. Good luck!

I know its not the clutches because I dont have even 500 miles on them yet. I tried changing jets and plugs, still the same.Im wondering if I might have picked up some dirt in the carbs or mabie they are outta sinc?
what I mean by muffell is that after 7000 rpm it sounds like the machine has the flew and it dosent want to scream any more. It also seems like it happened over a very short peroid of time like overnight.
This really has me baffled, I had the150 mains in and took them out and replaced them with the 151.2 stockers still no difference at all.
Anyone

Perhaps it's time to clean the carbs thouroughly, and also get a light, or pull the head and look at the pistons. Actually, pull the carbs and pull the reed blocks out, and you can look at the piston skirts and check condition down there too. You may have a dynamic compression problem from a burned cylinder.

if it is a crank seal it will take a piston with it usually. check with gas or eather at pto seal with engine running. if motor picks up rpms that the problem.

I really like this sled but I was wondering how to get more power. It has the MSRP can carbon fiber reeds ripsaw track and vmax johns clutch set up any suggestions :rocks:

Hey, Sounds like maybe some moisture in the fuel run the gas dryer and forget about it

Getting it above 7000rpm perhaps? :)

Where did you put your secondary wrap? Are you still having the same problem?

When I first got my set up in there, I left the secondary at the stock wrap, and it wouldn't go over 6600rpm! Tightened it up, and bang! Whole new sled.

Fine tune it, 7700rpm, no more. Good luck!

In which hole should the spring stand in for best performance when my sx500r is stock? 0, 3, 6 or 9? what do you recommend?
helix2.jpg

quick answer, go to the tech section and get a schoolin' on adjusting your clutches.

I'd go with 6&2 on the secondary sheave for twisty trails and boon docking. Usually, as loose as you can without bogging under 7700rpm. You can gain backshift at the loss of upshift and top speed.

Back