Gearing Recommendations for stretched Viper?

thegrizzly1

Previous sleds:
I have a 2003 MTN Viper, putting the engine back together stock. Have team Secondary. Picked up a 151" suspension and just purchased 4" rail extensions and a 159" track. Anyone out there running this setup? I'm thinking 19/40. Any input?

I may not have the answer

But more information is always helpfull. What do you weigh with gear on, do you ride 2 up? What are you hoping to accomplish...Aka hillclimb, boondocking, tight trees. high speed meadow riding. Your gearing will be a composite of rpm,top gear/bottom gear/how many teeth on you drivers and what pitch. What is is you want to do well 90 percent of the time? Your clutching and gearing will need to be adjusted to get to what goal you want. Everything is a compromise. Lower gearing is usually better climbing, but you loose top end speed. Figure out what riding you enjoy, or want your machine to do really well, and look around the site tech pages and seef you can find a starting point. My 2 cents :letitsnow

All good questions, I guess I should have been a little more specific.
I'll go all of 300lbs dressed. I'm looking for something decent in trees and meadows. With a pretty much stock motor, I'm not going to have the HP to create a climbing monster. I took off the SLP triple pipes cause I was tired of the lousy fuel mileage and fit issues under the hood.

I bought a used 151" MPI pro action suspension less shocks. Yesterday I received my Polaris Series IV 159" x 2.125 fully clipped track. I will have 8 tooth extrovert drivers on the drive axle to fit that track. The sled came stock with a 144" x 2" Camoplast Challenger and I believe it come stock with 22/40 gears. I am going 1/8" taller on the lug and 7.5" longer on the ground. I've got a team rapid reaction secondary with red black spring. Not positive on the Helix angle but I believe it is a 58/42.

I've always associated track speed with hill climbing ability. I know I'll likely lose track speed by gearing down. Again, my focus is on a boon docking/tree & meadow sled. I should be pulling around stock HP. My 144" skid has a MPI transfer enhancement kit and I plan on switching it or copying it and putting it on my 151"/159" skid.

I do not ride this sled 2-up. Just bought a new Venture GT for that. When I go out west I will be @ 6500-8500 feet and have it jetted for that elevation range down to -20 degrees F per the factory Yamaha jetting charts. I will not have a chance to play with jetting and gearing when I go out west. That's why I'm looking with someone with a similar engine/track configuration to use as a starting point.

Last edited:
Ok not a direct comparison

I have a mountain max with a 151 on it. I like to ride mountains. I am geared now at 19/42. i do not know how these machines compare power/gearing wise. I know when I was statring to get my machine set up I was refered to Tom Hartman at Hartman Yamaha. He is a good source for setting up these machines. He has the gears, and has alot of experience in testing and performance. He will do a whole profile for you. It will cost you a bit, but might be worth it for you. Slp could be a resouce as well. Tom had me drop gearing from 19/40 to 19/42 for better hillclimbing. As well as clutching changes.
This site has great information about alot of things. The best Yamaha site on the net! I find getting mountain machine information can be a little tricky, when you search or get advice you need to look at where the advice is comming from. Your machine needs to be set up for how and where you ride. I have gotten confused at times because alot of guys on this site may be more about trail,drag, or lower elevation machines. So everything about setting up machines for that use is completely different from mountain riding. that being said there is a great wealth of information, and incredably knowlledgeable who have helped me greatly. :letitsnow

Last edited:

Back