79 Enticer 340 Help!

igottajob2

So I cleaned my carb and then it still wasn't getting gas so I replaced the fuel pump with a spare I had as the snowmobile hadn't run in 2 years an sat with gas in the carb.....still nothing. I do not have a choke as the cable is missing and I am just priming it by putting gas in the cylinders. It fires but does not stay running. Any ideas??

Just chase the fuel to see if it is making it to the carb. Start by pulling the supply line to the carb, place in a catch bottle and pull the rope. You can pull the plugs to make it easier to pull. If you have fuel coming out (good flow) then check the carb bowl to see if it is filling up. If bowl is filling then recheck your carbs (all circuits). If not fuel to carb then check your pulse line (this makes the fuel pump work). If you do not have a good pulse, you may want to do a compression check as well as check the lower end for leakage.

I replaced the pulse line and it seems like there is decent pulse but still nothing is coming out of the carb fuel line that connects to the carb. Any ideas? I cannot do a compression test as I do not have a compression tester. Does it sound like a lower end leak?

Hard to tell without a leak-down test, but you should be getting fuel if you have a pulse.

So here is what I would do . . .

Chase the fuel from the tank all the way to the carb.

< okay I give up on the list - it isn't working - likely a Google chrome setting but I don't have time to find it >

I will just add another post below . . .

Last edited:
you should be getting fuel - hang on while I try to post above

Last edited:
You may have a problem in the tank. Find the rubber cap on the gas tank that has a spring holding it on where three fuel lines connect - the sight glass tube, the supply line to the fuel pump, and the air vent. Make sure the lines are all where they go, and that they are not cracked or clogged. You can check the large suction tube inside the tank that the rubber cap goes on for cracks. At the bottom of the suction tube should be a filter that may be clogged. My guess is that something is simply clogged.

Also be sure to trace the lines, as some models had a fuel shutoff. Make sure the air vent line is open.

I will check for sure. I did take off the the line from the gas tank where it connects to the fuel pump, attached a new line(was going to use another tank to see if that was the problem) and put my finger on the end to see if I felt suction like the pump was trying to draw gas up but nothing......since the pulse seems weak I am thinking it's the lower end. it was pulsing but it wasn't very strong.

You fill the carb bowl manually. Just put a little air pressure (no more then 5 psi) in a plastic bottle of gas with a feed line going to the carb. Don't overdo it as it will flood the engine. Then you should be able to start it and have it run for a while. I sometime leave the bottle connected and set it above the sled so it gravity feeds.

Anyhow if you can keep it running for 30 seconds or so, you should be able to check for case leaks with starting fluid or carb cleaner. Just be careful not to destroy anything that the spray might hit. If the rpm's change significantly when fluid is sprayed in a certain area of the case, you likely have a leak.

You can also perform a case leakdown test. Again only use about 5 psi. You of course have to cover all of the outlets with plates and gasket material.

Back