Mild resto mod - 75 GPX 433

bolt0017

Looking for some advice folks - very much a newby here. I have a sold 75 chassis and a complete, running (fresh rebuild) but somewhat rough 74 GPX 433. I'm going to put the 74 motor, steering (I like the shorter bars) in the 75 chassis and secondary shaft in the 75 chassis. A couple of questions:

-Best way to convert to hydraulic brakes? I heard early 90's Polaris juice brakes work.

-Need tunnel protectors. Where do I get these?

-Availability of repro belly pans? Lee Fredrickson is out and has a long lead time.

-Need paint coded to Yammie white and red.

Thanks all!

Ron

brakes..mechanical was fine for me on that sled..do folks use brakes today on ovals?

Old sliders make good tunnel protectors.

Attachments

• leading 440 - 75.jpg
    leading 440 - 75.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 8
Great picture!

Thanks for the info - that's a great picture! Ok - let me back up a bit. Last time I ran this I overused the brakes trying to get the thing to go through the corners and they faded badly. Any tips on getting it to turn? What carbides did you use?

Any setup, jetting, tuning tips for this old GPX would be great.

The basics - 75 GPX 433with a Delaughter-rebuilt (stock tune) 74 motor with 38mm miks (370 main, 45 pilot). Stock drivetrain.

Thanks!

i put juice brakes on my gpx last year ......best thing i ever did while the stock setup with full metal pads always worked great i did it for the shorter tracks i run where i am using the brakes more and it takes less effort to slow down i will get some better picks for you it is very easy to do
004-3.jpg
076.jpg
073.jpg

Brakes n such

Nuts -

Great pics. Would you be willing to offer up (either by PM or post here) exactly what I need to convert to hydraulic brakes? What do you use for carbides and where do I get them? Lastly - what paint code is the red you use?

Lots of questions I know, but I'm a newb on a time crunch. But loving it!

Ron

yes when i am in the shop tomorrow i will get you the info on the brakes for carbides o run the 10 inch woody's north star ski carbide you will have to get them right from woody's ........tell them you are a first time vintage racer they will give you a one time discount if not the carbides are $140 i am sponsored by woody's so i get a cut which helps alot and theyhave great products over past companies i have been sponsored by .........the red i will have to make a call this hood is very old i did not paint it nore have i ever matched the yamaha red this hood was painted many years ago and has alot of history that is why i have never redone it but may have to one day as it is getting beat up pretty good

Cool - thanks for the help, Nutz. Any suggestions on carbide for stock skis? I don't plan on buying North Stars for this mod.....

Happy Holidays,

Ron

mid 80's to mid 90's poo calipers work great, and are very cheap, make sure to get the bigger master cylinder. There is no "direct" bolt on for hydro brakes, you will have to make an adapter like this....

vmaxexciter010.jpg

they are a must have if you plan on winning any races!

best if you fix the steering....work with the studs..add a ton more or take ton out.. You need the back to get loose. It won;t steer if its not on the pipe or the clucthes are lugging.

Our sled won at every track when competition was stiff. in the day..stock..mod stock.then a factory sled in Canada.

No sense me telling you stuff as todays mindset will overpower it.

I used the GYT clutch in both the stock and mod stock. jetting is so critical..we used stock carbs and turned the screws in until it screamed..

back springs need to be new...and tight..even use a hockey stick stub to make them tighter.

Middle shock to bottom of from arm position or better still find a GP440 front arm..bolt to bottom hole.

5000 engage

Nothing can beat that sled if set up right. I only had trouble with the factory snojet team...in stock...it took me 3 laps to catch him on a 1/2 mile..

Get rid of the right ski extender plate.

Shrader said:
mid 80's to mid 90's poo calipers work great, and are very cheap, make sure to get the bigger master cylinder. There is no "direct" bolt on for hydro brakes, you will have to make an adapter like this....

vmaxexciter010.jpg

they are a must have if you plan on winning any races!

WHILE SHRADERS SET UP IS PRETTY MUCH LIKE MINE I DO NOT LIKE HIS FOR ONE REASON .........I LIKE TO KEEP THE ROTOR CENTERD OVER THE KEY WAY AND MORE INTO THE STOCK POSITION I WILL TRY TO HAVE PICS UP FOR YA TOMORROW I HAVE JUST BEEN WAY TO BUSY IN THE SHOP TO GET THIS STUFF DONE .........

WHEN I RAN STOCK SKIS I WOULD BOUNCE BETWEEN 10-14 INCH BARS BUT FOUND 10'S TO BE PERFECT YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO ADD BRACES IF NOT IT WILL HINDER CORNERING AND BEND THE SPRINGS

Back