phazer secondary on a ss440?

PhazerII1990

Hello fellow yamaha enthusiasts. I have a 84 440. The stock secondary was foobar so i put a phazer secondary on it. Haven't ridden it yet since old man winter is still on vacation. Am i asking for trouble with this? Input would be very helpful before i break stuff. Thanks!!

should work just fine might have to do some tweeking with the helix to work right they aare pretty much the same except helix angles ............stock ss should run 6800 -7000 rpms on the top

Your going to need change the spring wrap. My father did this in the late 80's with great success according to himself. A spring wrap change was necessary but he cant remember what locations to put it in. You could try B-2 which is where the secondary in my XLV is. Different motors but otherwise everything else is the same. You probably have to play with it a bit.

Last edited:
i have a secondary clutch for an 84 ss440 pm me if you need it. i have all the specs as well if you want to take yours apart and compare it to the stock ss clutch

Thanks dschutt but I already have another one for it. just waiting for the snow to fall so i can use the damn thing!!!!!

Back