1978 exciter 340

kyle123

got a 340 exciter and noticed tonight that my headlights, dash and tail are all dim while riding but when i pull the break lever to stop the lights go brighter but they kinda flicker. so what's happening possible ground short or voltage reg. going bad. sleds got 10,000 miles on it and still fly's just dim lights at night. thanks for any help. if this has happened to you what did you do? thanks

Start with cleaning the grounds first. Been a while but if memory serves,,

All electricals are grounded through the black wires in the harness to the stator. Check all harness connections. There should be two chassis grounds. One at the left front hood hinge and one at the voltage regulator (back side of left footwell for 78 and up, under the seat near gas tank for 76-77).

opsled

are you sure because i look on the net using my vin# and it came up as a 1978 exciter 340. vin # start's with 8g700...... if you look on snowmobileforum.com and type in yamaha vin # by year it says 1976 ex. 340 vin starts with 8a6. the 1977 ex. 340 vin starts with 8e7 . and the 1978 ex. 340 starts with 8g7. that's what mine is so i guess they made them for three years not two. i which they made more cause they sure are a blast to ride and so easy to pick-up and move.

340's WERE built in 78 (the last year for them). Probably the rarest year for the EX 340. Don't know how many were built but the ET 340 was new for 78 and gave the EX 340 competition in sales and I think they were just using up EX340 inventory in 78.

A desirable sled. Treat it well.

opsled

i've tried to find out how many were produced and can't. i didn't know that was the rarest year but do now. i bought it this summer for 400.00 that i could not get out of my pocket quick enuff. came with a comet 102c clutch on it and it cleaned-up really nice and 10,200 miles on it and still flies. hopefully tomorrow i can figure out the dim lighting problem. thanks for response.

problem solved. ground wires were ok so got on ebay and bought new voltage reg. took out the old one and put new one in, fired it up and shazzam bright lights. thanks for hints as to possible problem and glad it was easy fix. happy trails dudes.

I stand corrected. I just had to dig out my old sales flyer to see. They did make a 340 exciter that year. I have never seen one. I must be getting old and forgetful. If the tunnel tapers up at the back it is a "78"

Back