Abnormal belt wear with pics.

averagesleder

Sled 2003 SXViper
Belt 8DN

I've been prepping my viper for this winter. I noticed my belt seems to be tearing/fraying on the inside ribs. Its all of the ribs not just a section. The belt may only have 3500km on it, I can't remember if I put it on at the start of last season or the year before. Before I installed the belt I washed it in warm soapy water and I made sure to break it in easy for 50km.

For clutching I have heavy hitters set like this. I have a green secondary spring also. The three shims on the back of the secondary are removed.
48g base
hole #1=1/4" set screw (.9g)
hole #2=3/8" steel bolt + 1 thick washer (2.6g + 1.4g)
hole #3=3/8" steel bolt + 1 thin washer (2.6g + .4g)
black HH spring (150/300 lbs)

The primary doesn't have any black marks on it from rubbing. Last season it seemed to perform fine, there was a bit of belt squeal on decell from certain speeds. What would be causing my belt to tear/wear like this? Is this something to be concerned with?
Thanks Matt

MomsCameraDec28375_zps833c6802.jpg
[/IMG]
MomsCameraDec28374_zps7e73e24c.jpg
[/IMG]
MomsCameraDec28378_zps0c6bc900.jpg
[/IMG]

Check the bottom of your secondary. Is your CTC over? I would guess that it is likely bottoming out in the secondary. Otherwise it is something going on with the primary or something floating around in the clutch area.

thats from too tight of belt deflection! so your effectively making the belt too short and it rides hard on the primary clutch shaft,causing the fraying of the cord covering from too much friction, this also is what causes the pig squeeling sound and why it squeeling when you slow down. I would bet the edge of the belt is every bit of 3/16" of an ich above the sec. sheave. Put the bolts back in the secondary and shim it so it has barely a 1/16" rise above sheave top and your problems will go away and it will work better.

another note: check the 3 bolts, if the tip is worn off it will be too tight because bolts become shorter and make sheave closer.

Last edited:
A good way to know your belt deflection is good is by starting sled and let it idle...there should be NO belt sqeal.
Raise the track off the ground with jack stand.
At idle the track should want to start to rotate very slowly...but not at any speed...just a slow creep.

Works for me!

Bob

Still puzzled.

I put the shims back in, however I'm not 100% sure I put them in the correct location. The service manual I have makes me think I installed them in the wrong spot. I also think the belt is still sitting too low, because my cam sliders contact the helix part way up.

How the belt sits now.
Mattsclutching002_zpsa9dc0d7e.jpg
[/IMG]

I put the shims under these 3 bolts.Screwdriver is indicating which bolt.
Mattsclutching003_zpsa7fb149d.jpg
[/IMG]

Should have I put the shims and bolts in the recessed hole.
Mattsclutching005_zpse59d1199.jpg
[/IMG]

How my helix sits now,it was like that last season.
Mattsclutching001_zps3d5804fc.jpg
[/IMG]

Thank you, for the help so far.
Matt

The shims go under those three 8mm head bolts on backside of clutch.

But there is something not right with how low your belt is riding in secondary...even with the shims removed the clutch should not be spread that wide.
It may be time to disassemble the secondary to determine whats up.

Shims under the 8mm head bolts to make belt ride higher in clutch[worn belt]
Shims removed from under the 8mm head bolts to get belt to ride lower[new belt]

sideshowBob said:
The shims go under those three 8mm head bolts on backside of clutch.

But there is something not right with how low your belt is riding in secondary...even with the shims removed the clutch should not be spread that wide.
It may be time to disassemble the secondary to determine whats up.

Okay so I put the shims in the right location! I didn't set up the clutching, my buddy did it for me. The green secondary spring was new at the start of the season, I ordered it from the dealer.
What should I be looking for when I disassemble the secondary?

Good input from Bob (and Don above), but just wondering if you put the belt on and didn't run the sled enough to engage the track for a few rotations (needs to be suspended). I agree with Bob pull the secondary and check it out real well. Might be an issue with the spring, the twist, or even the bushings.

They are real easy to work on as you likely already know.

Remember remove shims if belt is too tight or too high in secondary. If its still too tight bolt tips may be worn down or clutch centre to centre distance to wide.

I started the sled, and spun the track a few times. The belt then sat almost flush with the top of the secondary. I took it out for a ride tonight and is seems good. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Matt ;)!

i just put a new belt on my sxr and it sat flat with the top of the secondary but my track was rotating none stop but not fast at all i think the belt just needs to be broken in a bit. was i supposed to wash it in water before i put it on? (no clue!)

It is good to wash them when they are brand new to remove the residue from the belt making process. It helps the belt break in without slipping which causes it to glaze.

Back