tunnel protector install

99VX700

I've got protectors for my '99 Vmax 700 and was reading the instructions from MaxxPerf and looking at my tunnel and there are some discrepancies. Sheet says there is a front and back pre-drilled hole and front one is in the bulkhead. Then it says evenly space the other holes and drill 3/16". This would be for a '97 SX I'd say. Mine appears to have holes already in a straight line where protectors should go, but they're bigger than 3/16", a little further apart, and i don't see one in the bulkhead. So, where do I start them up front? There appear to be a couple of rivets poking down from the fuel pump that look to be in the way if I start the protectors up there. Do I ram 'em as far ahead as possible? What about protection at the back? The protectors are only so long. What about the holes? Should I just drill 3/16" ones for the supplied rivets, or spend even more money on bigger Yamaha rivets for the existing holes?

Whatever you do, watch the fuel tank. You don't want the rivet heads rubbing on the bottom of it. Make sure they are very flat when the mandrel breaks off. I had to avoid the fuel pump also on my Vmax, and ended up with my protectors a couple of inches from the front... track can't get up in there anyway.

Thanks, Waterfoul. Like many little jobs like this, sometimes you just have to get creative and work out a solution. I've made things work...making sure the rivet heads are as flush as can be, like you say. MaxxPerf has great products, great service, and great instructions. No bad reflection on them.

Back