Gas Milage

01Vmax89

Hey Guys got a stock v-max as far as engine mods except a MRBP Can and it's got just under a 12 gallon tank and gets about 50 miles to every half of tank being just over 8 mpg why is this so crappy for stock. I can't imagine how much of a gas hog she'll be once she get's milled and reeds and crap this summer. Doesn't seem to be running to rich since hardly ever fouls plugs. Run on average 93 octane. Any one have any Ideas? There greatly appeciated since gas ain't the cheapest thing.

Carbs

Hey Guys,
When I had to pull my engine and took the intake box out carbs looked like they were a bit diry. Would cleaning them up make much of a gas milage difference? or would it just be a bit more snappy?

With a 500 you should do better than that. It could be your belt, clutch alaignment, clutch condition, the secondary ramps, could be lots of things. Where in NH are you?

Yeah that's what I figured I was like a 600 is gettin better mileage than me. Got a new dayco 2 in feb last season. Gots about 200-250 miles on it. Ya I'm debating if I should wait till this summer to do my clutch or not was told a 47/41 helix w/ stock springs and 8ab weights seems to workgood on a 500. Ya when I do them I since I had to pull the engine dunno if it's excault lined the bolts and every thing back up on there old spots. I don't think she's lined up excualt tho because now at lower rpms 5k-6k ish she seem to squal at times. Sounds like it might be with the brake but we dinn touch the brake or anything from the secondary all the way back to the track. It Isn't it possible to do clutch work like helix, internals w/o a press? Think I should prolly fix this shouldn't I? I no I gonna clean my carbs since taked to a friend and said it'd gimme better mpg and more snap even thoguht she's got alot when she hooks up.
Maddogg: East Conway, takes about 3 mins to be on 19 from my house

Last edited:
Get that motor aligned pronto! Then start with anything worn, clutches, track, belt...get that dayco out of there, and go back to a new Yamaha belt, 8cj. Last forever and are perfect for the 500. Clean the carbs, make sure everything is like new in there.

After that, we'll talk clutching!

Back