Thermosensor assembly plug/wire

YooperMike

So, after re-assembling my machine after carb cleaning, I noticed that one of the wires leading into the male plug that goes into the thermosensor decided to come undone, right at the plug. I don't recall that it was like this before I tore it apart, so I must have pulled it loose when I was moving the wiring harness around. My question is, can you get one of these plugs separate from the wiring harness and just/cut splice in a new one? Or does it only come with an entirely new harness? I couldn't see it as a separate part looking at yamaha's online parts site.

you have the right idea, but its simpler just to clip it off and use standard connectors and seal them well.

yamaha did address this issue with a repair kit, dont have the part number in front of me and i doubt its still available, it was listed in either the 02 or 03 tech update manual.

basically its a weatherpak connector system. special tools to crimp the ends. you have a barbed rubber seal around the wire into the connector with a special fitting attached. major pain. i am about 1 for 4 on the fix. if you have access to anyone in the auto repair biz that has the weatherpak products, your set. lacking that, simply crimp a spade on there and seal it up with silicone, liquid electrical tape, or rubber dip and be done.

once fixed, pay attention to the wire routing. in the ones i have seen its the way the wire is routed under the coil packs that makes them break. should make sense when you stand back and look at it.

YooperMike said:
So, after re-assembling my machine after carb cleaning, I noticed that one of the wires leading into the male plug that goes into the thermosensor decided to come undone, right at the plug. I don't recall that it was like this before I tore it apart, so I must have pulled it loose when I was moving the wiring harness around. My question is, can you get one of these plugs separate from the wiring harness and just/cut splice in a new one? Or does it only come with an entirely new harness? I couldn't see it as a separate part looking at yamaha's online parts site.

Without seeing what you're up against, it sounds like the wire broke at the back side of the hardshell connector where it enters. Most weather pack connectors have a lock (yellow, red or another color other than the hardshell connector and usually flat/blade like in appearance) that is removed from the matting/front side. The lock holds a barbed "finger" against the metal terminal locking the terminal in place.

Once the lock is removed, use a sharpened paper clip or other small diameter pick to pull the finger away from the terminal and the terminal will pull out from the back side.

Special crimpers are used to crimp the wire to the terminal but you can just solder the wire to the broken terminal making sure the O.D. of the newly soldered joint isn't too much larger than the original crimp joint. Then re-install the terminal into the hardshell connector, tug to make sure it's locked against the finger, install the lock and plug it in.

If you take the broken hardshell connector to your local Ford dealer they may be able to match it to thier Wiring Pigtail Kit Identiication Guide.

If you post a pic I can look at the giude book I have and see if one is available and post a part number.

snomofo said:
Without seeing what you're up against, it sounds like the wire broke at the back side of the hardshell connector where it enters. Most weather pack connectors have a lock (yellow, red or another color other than the hardshell connector and usually flat/blade like in appearance) that is removed from the matting/front side. The lock holds a barbed "finger" against the metal terminal locking the terminal in place.

Once the lock is removed, use a sharpened paper clip or other small diameter pick to pull the finger away from the terminal and the terminal will pull out from the back side.

Special crimpers are used to crimp the wire to the terminal but you can just solder the wire to the broken terminal making sure the O.D. of the newly soldered joint isn't too much larger than the original crimp joint. Then re-install the terminal into the hardshell connector, tug to make sure it's locked against the finger, install the lock and plug it in.

If you take the broken hardshell connector to your local Ford dealer they may be able to match it to thier Wiring Pigtail Kit Identiication Guide.

If you post a pic I can look at the giude book I have and see if one is available and post a part number.

After looking at it for QUITE a while, this is exactly what I ended up doing. The only difference being that I had to use my pick set to get out the rubber that was holding the wire in the back of the plug. Then pulled out the yellow isolator, and got the connector out the back. Soldered on a new wire, siliconed it on the back side, and spliced it back in place. I'll have to pay attention to see if the plug wires are messing with this, but I did route it where it seems like it will be OK. Thanks everyone.

YooperMike said:
After looking at it for QUITE a while, this is exactly what I ended up doing. The only difference being that I had to use my pick set to get out the rubber that was holding the wire in the back of the plug. Then pulled out the yellow isolator, and got the connector out the back. Soldered on a new wire, siliconed it on the back side, and spliced it back in place. I'll have to pay attention to see if the plug wires are messing with this, but I did route it where it seems like it will be OK. Thanks everyone.

While yanking my carbs this weekend I had a look at the connector in question. My discripition was pretty close or at least close enough to get the job done.

I also found the hardshell connector in my Motorcraft pigtail guide I mentioned (the guide has purdy pictures of the hardshell) so taking it to the Ford dealer and matching it up would also be an option. The service connectors have a portion of wire crimped to the terminals to allow for butt splicing to the harness.

I found the same connector in the K&L supply catalog online. I remember somebody telling me that these guys were the original OEM suppliers. However, you have to be a vendor/dealer to get parts from them. Thanks for the tip on the Motorcraft guide. If it becomes a problem, I'll go down to the local Ford dealership and have them get me one. Or 3.

Back