79 exciter carb?

rich

Hello, have a 79 exciter 440. It has the stock butterfly carb on it. Would there be a gain in performance by switching to a 38 mm mikuni? Thanks Rich.

Yup, 38mm would probably be to small. 76-77's used a big Keihin that was 40 or 42mm.

I would leave th original unless you're racing it and the carb change is allowed in class. Even then you may not see much (if any) improvement depending on what else has been done.

If you do change it yo will also need to change the throttle block as it will not have enough pull to open the roundslide. 76-77 Exciter block will do the trick and look OEM on your 79 (there are also other options). You will also need the oil pump cable off the 76-77 if you want to keep oil injection functional.

I might have some of this stuff.

Another option is to use a bigger SRV butterfly. More of a bolt on and doesn't have the other issues.

What are you useing the sled for??

opsled

Helllo,thanks for the info. The sled is being used for oval racing. Everything is stock and the rules allow for the carb change and i was thinking a 38 because i have a new 1 on the shelf. We raced it yesterday and it ran really good for the 1st lap then going into the corners it would not respond when you get back on the throttle untill it was almost out of the corner. Almost like it was over filling with fuel. the corners were getting pretty rough. Then later in the day it started to flood out on the line. Im thinking the float was giving me problems. Thanks Rich

Back