Powered trailer opener?

scottman0

I posted this over on the four stroke side, thought that I would try it here too. I have a clam shell style 18 ft enclosed trailer that the top is a little heavy when opening. I put new shocks in it after I bought it and use a safety pin to make sure it doesn't close by accident. I had a brainstorm of somehow putting in an actuator on the arms to open and close it by a switch. Has anyone done this or give me their thoughts? Thanks.

I dont see why you couldnt do it, I think its a cool idea. Just have to do your homework when figuring out what size actuater and wiring. Good luck if you decide to do this, and post pics.

Have you ever thought about adding another set of lift shocks to help assist the mains? Would be a lot cheaper then adding actuaters. You could mount them so that they're max strength is during the second part of the tops travel.

How about a cheap 1000# winch(electric) mounted near the tounge. Add a mounting point up high and viola, a powered clam shell opener. It can also be used to drag non running sleds(ie cats, poos & doos) into the trailer. An access door up front would need to be fashioned.

I have an electric winch mount for dead sleds since trying to load a dead sled with your wife and 14 yr old daughter equals a long quiet ride home! The actuator powered opener could be removed for resale. I thought of the idea after seeing something over on dootalk about ultimate trailers, but never saw the article. I like the trailer since its low enough to fit in a standard garage door, even though its not like some of the others on here. If and/or when this happens, I'll post the progress.

You could use an actuator from a boat. Lenco and Benett are very common and come in a variety of lengths. eBay and offshore only have lots of these used and are available it electric or hydraulic. They are very powerful also, I have a single actuator on my engine hatch and it will lift it with 100 lbs of kids sitting on it.

Back