Playing with transfer rod spacers?

Backwoods M Max

Is there anything to be gained as far as increasing transfer and ski lift by moving the spacers? Can you remove all the top spacers to increase the transfer without damaging the suspension? It's something I was thinking about playing around with, but couldn't find any prior posts or write ups in the tech section. I have increased center shock preload 1 setting which has helped, but I don't want to make it so stiff that I trench real bad instead of getting up on the snow. If anyone has a good setup to share for a 141" mountain max that transfers well and doesn't trench I'd like to try it if you dont mind sharing.

Thanks
Jon

Seems like some guys were removing the transfer rods completely and making a limiter strap for the rear. I will try and find the posts.

Took off the transfer rods off Installed this on my MM and made a big diiference in deeper snow. Some were saying it would hamper trail riding. Not here, Be sure to read the instructions that come with the kit and they are easy to set up.

I have an MPI kit on the way, I was just having second thoughts. I heard that excessive transfer will cause ratcheting and was worried about how well the sled will still climb if the skis want to point to the sky when you nail the gas

I installed the straps when I was still at 144'' and stock drivers, set them to the specs that the instruction sheet gave and it handled fine on the trails and climbs better than with the t rods and didn't have to much problem with ratcheting except a few times in very deep snow.The ratcheting can happen if you run your track too loose. The trick is to make sure the angle of the rear section of the skid is in the right position as described in the kit instructions and you will not have problems with excessive ski lift. I did add anti ratchet drivers when I stretched mine to 162 witch allows me to run my track alot more loose and totally eliminate any ratcheting problems.

I guess I'll have to read the instructions when it gets here and see how it goes from there. I just didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling talking to "bear" on the phone about what the straps really do and how to set them up. I wanted to look at a set of instructions before I bought it but no such luck.

MPI makes some good products. I myself have never delt with them directly(bought my kit from my yamaha dealer), but what I have gathered on this site their not very pleasent to talk to. Info is hard to get from them.

Yeah that's what I got last year when I tried calling them about a set of machined rails to to do a 144" track replacement. They told me they couldn't be bothered and don't have time for 2-stroke customers. Oh well I think I'm going to order ice age custom rails.

If you got the kit from a Yamaha dealer it can't mess the sled up too bad if they will support the product. Can you set it up to mimic stock transfer and then adjust from there? Or do you get more transfer even on the lowest setting and it just increases from there?

Backwoods M Max said:
Can you set it up to mimic stock transfer and then adjust from there? Or do you get more transfer even on the lowest setting and it just increases from there?
From my experiance, yes.I set it at the starting point they gave and notice not much more lift than stock. Where you are going to notice the ski lift is on tight corners,specially if your a sit down type rider. I stand most the time, so It really didn't affect me that much.

Back