2 wheel axle kit

Backwoods M Max

So my mountain max is headed for a full blown diet round #2 when I get home from my boat. The front sway bar is getting cut out and a MPI transfer kit is going in. I also have a 2 wheel axle kit on the way to try and get more weight out of the rear end and get the most out of its handling potential (sidehilling)

Who has put a 2 wheel kit in? Once I remove the cotter pin and nut on the stock axle does the bolt pull out do all the wheels and spacers just sort of fall free? I'm guessing that I will have to remove 1 rail from the skid to get the new axle in, but it will be inside anyways to strip off the transfer rods and install the strap kit.

Anybody have pictures of a 2 wheel kit on a 2 stroke skid or doing the install?

Thanks

Should be very easy to install, no need to pull one rail off. It will make it nicer to pull skid off of sled. I had an AC with a 2 wheel kit and it did eventionaly wreck the track.

no pics, but you would be very optimistic thinking that you can swap that out with the skid installed. yes, its doable, but you will need a high level of patience to finish the job. best if the skid is removed. you are correct in your assumption, once the nut is off the axle will drive out(if its not corroded) and the corresponding parts will fall, so to speak. more like bind into the track area if the skid is installed. cant seem to get the track loose enough.

no need to remove a rail, at least i havent ever gone to that extreme, the kits i have done(ac), just retrofit after fighting the rivet removal, my homemade kits just require some machining and threading along with cutting of the oem spacer tubes.

cant possibly understand how a two wheel kit could wreck a track, unless the alignment was off, i have three sleds running this set up for the last three seasons without any ill effects to the track.

I don't even think I have to touch the yamaha adjuster since it is already inside the rails. The only reason I was thinking about having to pull off a rail is because the SLP 2 wheel kit has the center spacer machined as a step in the axle so you can't just push it through and thread everything else on. I will have to wait and see when the kit shows up, only time will tell. The skid will already be in the shop for an MPI strap kit anyways so that shouldn't be a problem with the rear wheels.

I just put one in and just loosen the track pulled the stock stuff out and bolted the new in no biggy at all used a racket strap to pull track back.

snowdad4 said:
cant possibly understand how a two wheel kit could wreck a track, unless the alignment was off, i have three sleds running this set up for the last three seasons without any ill effects to the track.

After running a track like this for a long enough time it will begin to loosen clips and brake down the fiber supports of the track. I guess it also depends if you just keep your track flat on the trail or your on the edge of it all day. On the brite side once the track is shot you can upgrade to a better one.

I can see a trail sled on hardpack with a 2 wheel kit causing damage, out in the soft stuff between the trees I wouldn't think it to be a problem.

I've been searching all over for a two wheel axle kit for my 03' MM. Are there still guys out there offing them?

AK_Dave said:
I've been searching all over for a two wheel axle kit for my 03' MM. Are there still guys out there offing them?

I got mine from mountain performance but I bet the one that SLP sells would work as well. All I ended up using from MP was the axles, the spacers were for wheels with wider bearings so the total width between the adjusters was too short. It's worth the time to pull the skid to swap it. There are shims behind the adjusters that will fall out and you would have a hell of a time trying to get it all back together with the track fighting you. An interesting note, both axles have a bolt threaded in one end with a roll pin securing it, then the threads for the nut are cut right from the aluminum axle, it was kind of surprising.

Backwoods- Thanks for the heads up on MPI, I'm not sure how I over looked them. I currently have a pretty well bent rear axle so i figured it would be a good time to find one that had already been shortened. I've bought two wheel axles for my *cough* M8 at about $35. MPI wants $100 plus shipping to AK, ouch. So I called SLP, I didn't get the guys name but he claimed I'd have to do some heavy mods to what they had to offer. So long post short, I think I may look into fabricating one up.

Snowdad- I guess I need to start looking around for a good tutorial. I've seen a few posts regarding the making of your own two wheel kit, but few have provided pics or clear enough detail for my simple mind :confused: Do you know of any good links that might go into detail? I've got one spare OEM axle ready to be hacked and tapped.

Okay so I decided to dive in and make my own 2 wheel axle since I was putting the sled out of commission to install a transfer enhancement kit. I'm embarrassed to say that it was almost too easy. I had assumed it was going to be much more difficult which deterred me from attempting it. I'm planning to do a write up in the next day or two with photos for those of you who may be interested. :WayCool:

Back