teach me about my bravo

ghost civic

New guy here. Hope this is the subforum to post on the bravo.

I got lucky and was able to trade something for a '89 bravo this year.

the sled already ran. Not perfect of course, but I put 5 hours on it already.

But I took it to a shop to have them clean the carb and tune it. They cleaned it, tuned it and adjusted the throttle linkage.

Heres the sucky part, I test drove it before loading it in the truck, and while the motor is better the brakes now work 50% of what they did before I took it in! Before, I couldnt hardly pull the handle all the way to the bar. Now it goes right to the bar with ease and the stopping power is half what it was before.

Naturally, the shop owner says "we didnt touch the brakes. I left it there for them to look at tomorrow.

Is there any part of the brake system that could have been "bumped" or dislodged while working on the carb?

Also, is there any "cheap" way to make a windshield? I dont have $80 right now to spend on a new one.

And are there any common tricks or mods that are done to these sleds? I hope to keep mine for awhile!

Whats the top speed of these sleds in good working order? mine did 40mph.

Not to up on bravo info but what you describe in the brake situation sounds like brake caliper might have ben starting to seize up hence the hard pull. Using them may have freed them up and are working correctly now......or you have a leak in the brake line some wheres( if they are hydralic versus mechaical). As far as the windsheild post an add in the wanted section......Somebody may have one laying around.

Last edited:
your cable make have been tight, brake adjustment is a simple fix. I hope your not expecting that thing to wheelie lol. If your getting 40 mph she's working fine. i have a bravo lt lucky if that thing can get 30. they are indestructible little one lungers. keep clean fuel and regular maintenance and you'll have a machine for many years. As for a windshield keep looking or mod something to fit there. Good luck!

ghost civic said:
New guy here. Hope this is the subforum to post on the bravo.

I got lucky and was able to trade something for a '89 bravo this year.

the sled already ran. Not perfect of course, but I put 5 hours on it already.

But I took it to a shop to have them clean the carb and tune it. They cleaned it, tuned it and adjusted the throttle linkage.

Heres the sucky part, I test drove it before loading it in the truck, and while the motor is better the brakes now work 50% of what they did before I took it in! Before, I couldnt hardly pull the handle all the way to the bar. Now it goes right to the bar with ease and the stopping power is half what it was before.

Naturally, the shop owner says "we didnt touch the brakes. I left it there for them to look at tomorrow.

Is there any part of the brake system that could have been "bumped" or dislodged while working on the carb?

Also, is there any "cheap" way to make a windshield? I dont have $80 right now to spend on a new one.

And are there any common tricks or mods that are done to these sleds? I hope to keep mine for awhile!

Whats the top speed of these sleds in good working order? mine did 40mph.

wasnt really expecting wheelies. More top end would be nice.

I ran it for just a bit today. The shop adjusted the brakes and now they feel right again. I had run it for 3 hours a few days before it went into the shop and the brakes were fine. The shop said it wasnt anything they did....but they did adjust the brakes without charging me, so its all good.

I dont notice that much more power tho. Cant just top speed tho, it may be faster or it may not. Will have to wait till I ride with my friends again.
It does idle better tho. I might have had it to low before.

Ill start saving for a windshield. dont wanna spend $80 for a part on a sled I paind $200 for, but then it gets dang cold without the windshield. And it makes the sled look worse than it is.
I do like the long track tho. I can drive out of stuff that would leave my friends much newer sleds stuck.

Ill keep an eye out for a used windshield. Thanx.

Back