PV cables for $3

Yamahasrx700

I made new cables for my Power Valves out of bike cables I bought from Wal-Mart for $3. I have used these for 2 seasons with Zero issues. I also have repaired my power valves with steel inserts. If you look at the pics you see I kept the adapter Yamaha uses on the valve end (sorry about pic quality). The wire retainer I made out of stainless tig wire. It’s similar to the "cable hold" used at the thumb throttle. If you look at the pic of the servo (another bad pic) the bottom cable is considerably thicker than the other two. I made my own cable stops in my lathe out of 1/4 round. I turned it down to .150 thou and tapped it for a 4-40 Allen set screw. If you look at the pic closely you can see the Allen set screw. I have well over 1000 miles on the cable. When I do the insert repair on the power valve I do 2 extra steps that no one else does that stop the cable from getting compromised.

Attachments

• pic 333.jpg
    pic 333.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 37
  • pic 337.jpg
    pic 337.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 37
  • pic 338.jpg
    pic 338.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 31

Just wanted to bump this thread. Good work.

Why didn't you just re-use the original sleeve for the wire? I'm sure it can take your thicker cable. I was looking at one step bigger brake cable. Original is 1.2mm and 1.6mm would fit.

Back