Newbie Clutch Questions

Padus Trash

Hi all,

Bought this 99 SX600 last year and got one good ride in last year of 500 miles before the snow was gone.

This year I was checking things over and found a few things that needed attention (i.e dirty carbs, W arm broke, hyfax worn, track is junk, etc...) Took care of all the problems above plus did the head gasket and silencer mod. Got rid of the off idle stumble with turning out the fuel screws a little. Seems to be running great now.

Last year the sled was strong in the mid range but sucked on the high end. All I could get out of it was about 85mph. I don't think this seems right.

With the things the previous owner and myself have done the sled is set up as follows:

• head gasket mod
  • silencer mod
  • 9837 track with 144 studs
  • reed spacers
  • Carbon Tech reeds
  • Primary has 8dg00 weights not sure what rivets or rollers
  • Red primary spring (Maxx I assume)
  • Maxx Roller Secondary
  • Secondary Spring is Black with red paint mark
  • 50/38 helix.

From what I remember, I believe the rpms were close to 8300 as the previous owner had it marked on the tach. I can't remember exactly though.

My questions are what amount of twist should I have on the secondary? I took it apart and know one number was 6 but not sure what the other end was in.

What can I do to get the top end back?

Would this clutch set up be comparable to Turk's setup in the tech pages or am I missing out on some power??

Secondary wrap should be 6 & 2. Sled likes to run at 84-8500 rpm.

off idle stumble

Do you mean if you nailed the throttle from idle it would fall flat (almost die) for about a second or two before the rpm's would go up? How much did you turn the fuel screws out? My 2000 does the exact same thing. I thought my carbs needed to be synced or the floats were off or something because I don't check that when I clean the carbs.

ridesrx said:
Do you mean if you nailed the throttle from idle it would fall flat (almost die) for about a second or two before the rpm's would go up? How much did you turn the fuel screws out? My 2000 does the exact same thing. I thought my carbs needed to be synced or the floats were off or something because I don't check that when I clean the carbs.

Mine didn't almost die but wasn't far from it. It was extremly noticable and could never get a good holeshot. Sounds like the same thing you have.

Stock on my sled is 2 turns out. I tried 2.25, 2.5, 2.75 and 3 turns out. It's at 3 out now but seemed the best at about 2.25 - 2.5. It will be put back around there so they don't fall out.

The extra 1/4 turn eliminated the stumble but it seems the sled still has a lean idle condition as I have to choke it quick the get the idle under control. This is why I kept going further on the turns. Didn't help the idle, so I'll check my pilot jets again. Has 42.5 pilots now. Don't know if I should go bigger or not? I still can't get it to idle under 2000 rpms even with choking it.

Anyone know how I can get the idle under control? I've read the choke method seems common, but can I somehow get this thing to idle where it should be?

Turk said:
Secondary wrap should be 6 & 2. Sled likes to run at 84-8500 rpm.

Thanks Turk. Does this set up compare with the recomendations you give on the tech page? I realize I don't know the rivets and rollers but can you guess how the person came to this set up? I think some tuning still needs to be done on the clutching end, but don't want to mess with it if your other set up would improve over what I have. I'm not too familar with clutching yet.

Back