1998 SRX suddenly died.

wilbglc

I just purchased a 1998 SRX700 with appx 6000 mi. It has started and run perfect from the moment I bought it 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I started it and engaged the clutch, the sled went forward about 10 feet and suddenly died like the kill switch was hit. Tried to restart with no luck. Lets avoid all of the obvious suggestions as it has fresh fuel, the key was turned off--on about 10 times, the kill switch was turned off--on about 10 times etc,etc,etc. I pulled each plug wire and attached it to a loose new plug resting on the head and it does have spark(mostly orangish though, not blue). Not sure if that is due to the plug just resting on the head loosely. The dash lights light up when pulling the cord. Just not sure where to start checking coils, stator, etc? Also, if you have a suggestion, please elaborate where you test an item and how much resistance, voltage, etc should be where. I way to often read on here people say "test this" but do not say what and where and how to test and for someone with little to no knowledge about yamahas or electrical systems, etc must struggle a lot with most peoples responses. I also have a boatload of parts from 2 2001 srx motors, and 1 2001 sled so parts exchanges should be pretty easy for me as long as they will work on the 1998. Thanks for any help on this one, I am boggled by the sudden dyeing off and failure to restart.

I would start by pulling the carbs off and tearing them down. If you have spark all you need now is fuel.

Most of the "boat load" of parts wont work on a 98 unless you swap harness/stator/CDI...pretty much everything electrical due to in 2000 electronic system updated with hotter stator.

and if adding fuel doesn't work check compression.

you can check compression by getting a compression tester and screwing it into the spark plug holes one at a time. then with the throttle wide open and the key OFF. pull the rope 5 times or until the needle on the compression tester reaches its max

take a small flashlight and look over on the recoil side of the engine, (you may have to unhook the pipes from the silencer and move them out slightly)take a peek down the hole on top of the engine case/recoil, see if the flywheel is all rusty?

your clue of "orange spark" leads me to this..

Back