How can I test my stator?

SRX M10

97 Sx 700 was running fine, then quit and has no spark. All roads lead to the stator. Is there a way to test it before I spend $180 on a new one. No return on electrical parts. I have an ohm meter. Thanks.

the easiest way is to put the meter on dc voltage scale 20, connect the probes to leads from stator, pull the rope and watch the meter, should be putting out voltage, most likely 7-or so volts with 1 pull, when you spin it over, wont be a ton of voltage because your not gonna spin the engine super fast, but it will tell you if its working. You can do the same with the pulse coil while your there if the stator shows good. The pulse will be very low, but should fluctuate with pulling it over. Check this and we will go to the next step!

I had one of the 3 bolts that hold the stator in place come loose and eventually work its way of the the hole and proceed to destroy the internal surface of the stator. The bolt was ground half way gone until it could fall out. Had about 11,000 miles when it happened. I have never had it apart before either so it just worked itself out from the factory.

Also as far as diagnostics are concerned, there should be a few wires coming out of the stator that represent different circuits ie lighting coil etc. Sometimes one coil can be open or not producing while another would work properly. Also you might get an indication from the wires that it might be putting out some juice but it might not be enough to allow the ignition coils to fire.

I believe there has been a place advertised in snow-tech about having them rewound. I believe it might save you some money.

Back