Viper with a redhead 700?

J_hubbs

Has anyone swapped a 700 red head engine in a Viper chassis? Wouldnt most items from the Venom work on the 700? I want to piece together a backup sled with the reliability of a red head and the suspension/better headlights of the Viper and make it affordable. I think I would need the higher output stator for the headlights. What are some other issues?
:sled2:

I would think that would be a pretty cool swap. Like you said would have to have better stator'd engine but pretty much same chassis.Saw something on here about putting viper gauges on a vmax,so the wiring would I'm sure have to be sorted out. Anything can be done just takes time, R&D, some knowhow. I know I have enough viper parts on my sx so why not other way

Gonna need the sxr 700 wiring stator and cdi thing i dont know about is dash hook up.

I'm sure a 2001 and newer SXR could be a great candidate. I myself would like to venture down this path myself one day...

dude, they did that. look at the venom. that is the 600cc redhead motor in the viper chassis. probably would be better with the 700 cc motor but most of the problems where solved by yamaha when they did this.

Yes it's been done but people think Venoms are worth 3500 plus because they are less than ten years old... Plus I'd like a 700 as well...

To swap an sxr 600 to a 700 you swap the cylinders/pistons/head, carbs, and cdi. So if i install a 700 in the viper I should be able to use the 600 venom wiring, and stator, the rest of the parts would come from a 700 red head.

And I think you would have to use maybe a venom speedo? Would a newer SXR 600/700 use the same stator as a Venom? Otherwise it may not flash trouble codes?

I don't think there is any need for a 700 CDI. I am running a 600 CDI without issues. Just head, cyl, piston assy., and carbs. Starting from a venom would be your best bet for this frankenstein.

SX600abuser said:
I don't think there is any need for a 700 CDI. I am running a 600 CDI without issues. Just head, cyl, piston assy., and carbs. Starting from a venom would be your best bet for this frankenstein.
Thanks Abuser! You were on my list of people to PM because of your vast experience with your sxr600/700.
I just bought a 03 Viper chassis from another member yesterday. I will be using it to test fit some custom aluminium trailing arms and radius rods.
I will be looking for a good deal on a 700 Red triple this spring. Then I have all summer to play with the project.

just make shure you get one with the dual headlamp bulb stator as it will run the lights on the viper chassis better than the single bulb one.

Back