Use Viper gauge on my Vintage project

got-wood

Here's a question that perhaps someone could answer for me. I had the thought of using a viper gauge on my vintage project and was trying to figure out how to make it work. The speedo is easy and I have most of those parts already. What I don't know is how to make the tach work? Surely that can be done. This will be used on a 433 Exciter. Anybody? Thanks

don't think the tach will work on it ...the pulse signal are not the same ...you could use a 98-99 srx tach ...if im not wrong

Well, I'm not an electronics guy, that's why I'm asking the question. To me, its just an electronic signal. Maybe changing something in the gauge? Maybe I'll talk with a gauge place, but I still need more details about this Viper gauge before I could do that. There has to be a way.

The viper will give 1 pulse per revolution to the tach where as the older twins will give 2 pulses and the triples will give 3 per rev. So your tach reading will not be correct unless I'm wrong about how the exciter works.

I wonder if the tach module in the gauge could be swapped out for something compatible? Do they even come apart?

Oh, I get it now. Did a little research last night, 3 pulses per revolution vs 2. May have to look at changing the tach module out and replacing with 'gulp' a Cat unit! Definitely don't want the whole CAT gauge on my YAMAHA! There is also some very good gauge manufacturers out there that have products that would work that I have already found as well. I guess I'm going to have to get one and pick it apart.

Last edited:

Back