Tow a 95 Toyota Pickup with a Blazer ?

Vmax540

VIP Member
Website
vintagevmax.com
Hello, Looking to tow home a 1995 4x4 Xtra cab, 5 speed pickup. I can use a 2 wheel dolly or a car hauler. My tow vehicle is a 1992 full size Blazer with a towing package. This is a 2 hr. plus drive and a dolly would be less weight. If I was to use the dolly would I unhook the rear driveshaft or simply put it in neutral ? Thank you for any help !

Use the car hauler, a lot easier and if you can quick add a trailer brake controller to your blazer the better. That way the trailer will have brakes. If not, all depends if the transfer case has a neutral. If not I would unbolt the D.S.

X2 on using a trailer if you have one. Tow dollys are great for front wheel drive vehicles but anything rear or 4 wheel drive I prefer the trailer. If you use dolly disconnect the driveshaft at the axle, then you can strap it to the bottom of the truck and not completely remove it. Depending on what type of yoke you have you may need to wrap U joint with some tape (electrical works great) so you dontt lose the caps.

Thanks for the replies, good information ! My 92 has just rolled 150k and is well maintained. It has a tranny cooler, trailer brakes and 373's altough the old throttle body isn't exactly known to be overpowered by todays engines, it is a 350 and I can take my time.

Last edited:
Yeah that 4L60 (or does it have a 700r4?) is the weak link in your equation. I have a fleet of 77-98 chevy/gmc trucks. My daily drivers are a 98 2500 (vortec 5.7/4L80) and a 95 1500 (vortec 4.3/5 speed manual) both 4x4 and push western snowplows. To be completely honest the 98 sits home more often than not. Hauling sled trailers/mud trucks/monster loads of scrap metal I have found the gas $ saved and the manual trans is the way to go. Flat out shocked the guy that drove his U-haul into the ditch when my lil ol 1/2 V-6 pulled him out!

should be 700r4 in that year.

full trailer is better than the dolly. with that gearing, should have no trouble towing in od.

Maim said:
should be 700r4 in that year.

full trailer is better than the dolly. with that gearing, should have no trouble towing in od.

I had a 92 extended cab pick up that came with the 4L60...wasnt to sure what the would have put in a 92 blazer. I actually had a couple 93-95 1/2 tons that had the 4L80, think it was a heavy half camper special package that came with the 80 instead of 60.

Back