Viper Mountain? Snow injestion, ram air???

alswagg

VIP Member
Those of you who have a Mountain Viper, do you get snow injestion through the Ram air vents? My son's standard Viper, which we have modded into a Mountain Viper sure does. Even plugging the Ram air vent holes, after a long run in waste deep powder, the air box has quite abit of snow on it.. We now have a routine of opening the hood to clear all snow before running again. With the ram air open, the air box foam is saturated very quick. Any thoughts.????

s10mike said:
stay out of waist deep snow? haha
We travel thousands of miles every year just trying to locate just that type of riding. If you have never riden a powder meadow run a deep bowl, or just boon docked a powerline, you just don't get it. The SXR hoods have a completely differant air intake system from the Viper. We have not had any issues with this, but I thought maybe western riders have come up with a "fix".

Somebody on snowest or HCS might have some insight? Bolin22 might have some info for you...Brock, what say you?

I was looking that on the new ski-doo xps chassis, they have a very fine screen, it is water proof so no water can get inside but it still can get air flow. Might be something to check into and could make a bracket or something to put the stuff over those open vents.

never had that issue on our 03 mtn viper, you may want to do some underhood comparisons. there may be an air duct left open on the hood transfering snow to the top of the airbox.

hoods are the same, to my knowledge, its the block offs that differ. i think i have an extra set layng around, along with a pre-filter that was never needed.

snowdad4 said:
never had that issue on our 03 mtn viper, you may want to do some underhood comparisons. there may be an air duct left open on the hood transfering snow to the top of the airbox.

hoods are the same, to my knowledge, its the block offs that differ. i think i have an extra set layng around, along with a pre-filter that was never needed.
If you have the Block off's, I would be interested in buying from you. Thanks for the info. Just let me know. Thanks Al

i wasnt exactly offering them up for sale, but that is a possibilty, more so as a comparison.

my viper is in the trailer and i dont keep my trailer at home, but i will be visiting it tomorrow afternoon. light permitting, i will take a pic or two and study the venting.

Thanks no problem. We leave for Miami on Sunday Morning. Boat show season. Hopefully there is still some snow left when we return. Thanks Al

The Ram air vents on the Mtn Viper are blocked off for that very reason. I read an artical on here somewhere though where a fella installead a foam plugs of sorts so it would still breath but keep the snow out. I my self when with the outter wear pre filter and it helped with the powder bog as well.

I thought that MPI made a kit for opening up the ram air vents on a mnt viper, complete with pre-filters. Should work to put on a short track to keep the snow from coming through.

Back