ss440 clutch tune

vanillagorilla218

I am the proud owner of 1981 yamaha ss440 that was formerly a parts sled i picked up for free. since taking delivery i removed everything that was not trail worthy. so there went the oil injection, dash, most of the exhaust pipe, windshield and a few other things. after porting the jugs, honing the cylinders and putting wiseco pistons im able to run side by side with my brothers 540 srx. but i know im missing out on more. where can i find weights and springs for this sled to get my engagement up to about 4-5k rpm. it hits very weak at around 2500 now and thats way below the power. i have asked all the parts houses and they think im retarded and try to sell me a 9,000 dollar sled. Any help is very apreciated, oh im 225# and ride ditches trails and lakes

Many things you can do, Shim primary spring, notch weights, a spring with more pre load The important thing is, if you don't understand those things, buy the Aaen clutch book it will teach you to do it right
Almost any changes in clutching changes other things, they all have to work together.

What spring and arms do you have in it now? are the bushings binding up? Maybe the easyest is to ask in the vintage racing section, ask on vintage sleds.com the SS 440 is a very popular sled in Vin. racing

Back