New to the forum

AKSRXPilot

Hello guys. New to the forum, just wanted to say hello.

I recently purchased a 1980 SRX and will be looking for a little help now and again getting it all dialed in. So far the motor seems to run pretty good but I definitely have primary clutch issues. Engagement is about 2500RPM.

The motor is new, basically brand new. Reconditioned crank and rods, new pistons and bearings, cylinders look perfect. All new gaskets and seals. Motor has 152 PSI of compression after 6 pulls of the rope, WOT.

I've burned about 3 gallons of fuel through it so far and it's quite apparent by looking at what little piston wash I can see that it's a little rich. Barely pulling any heat in the plugs. I'm burning 95 octane fuel mixed 32:1 for now. As I sneak up on the tune up I may reduce the octane slightly.

My plan is to race this old girl in the local Vintage races. Maybe some Ice Ovals and Grand Prix's. Maybe even a couple of Vintage X/C races if I get it set up the way I want it.

I have a few questions:

Are there threads in the Vintage section older than Jan 14 2013. I can't seem to find much for older threads.

Wonder where I could find a windshield for this old girl.

Do typical primary clutch springs from Team, Erlandson, etc work in these primaries? I haven't opened the primary clutch yet but I suspect that the spring is broken or at least sacked out. Can some one tell me installed height of the spring pocket in the primary, both opened or closed. Like 2.50" open and 1.19" closed or something like that???

Couple of pictures.

379365_10151240195371513_1493317315_n.jpg

391776_10151240194876513_18859966_n.jpg

Welcome to the site!
To view more pages of threads, Click on the Vintage forums page, and then scroll down to the bottom of the page. There will be a box called "Display Options". In that box is the option to set how far back you want to view pages from....It says, "From The:" . You can set it to veiw the last day, 2 days,week........year, etc...
Good luck with the project

Thank You Sno.

Do I become a contributing member by clicking on the VIP link and selecting the level of membership there?

staggs65 said:
Yes, and welcome to the site. Nice looking sled ;)!

Thanks. I paid $675 for it. It came with a new seat cover. I recovered the seat myself.

I have new (used) cowl hinges coming. And i have a piece of chromolly to whip up a new bumper. I will powder coat the new bumper black.

Skid is completely gone through. Every bearing new. All shafts greased and fresh hyfax. Track is in great shape.

I had to put a new rope on the recoil and rebuild it with a $14 pawl kit. Works perfect now.

Need a windshield. Would like new skis.

Needs primary clutch work. I will be tearing into it tomorrow. I have dozens of Polaris style primary springs. I think i can get something to work. Figuring out the installed height of the spring should be easy. i saw a Primary Rebuild Kit for about $150 new. Seemed steep but I guess beggars can't be too choosie with these old sleds.

Yamaha Nutz said:
what primary stock srx or comet replacement? them we can go from there

I have a stock '80 SRX clutch that has issues. I'll look at it within the next day or so. I have 2 sets of weights for it. A couple stock secondaries came with the sled. One has new buttons and what looks like a new black spring. I'll try to get numbers.

I have a 108C with only a few spare parts. Has the equivalent of 47 gram weights.

I have P85's a plenty. Lots of springs and weights down to a 45g equivalent.

Lots of team secondary stuff. Some Polaris button stuff

I would like a +-5000 Engagement Full shift out RPM is 8600-8800 I am guessing??

Stock gearing and track at this time.

Basically stock motor with about 150psi of compression

I would like to have a good ripping Vintage. Im used to trail sleds with high engagement RPM.

We can keep this discussion in the other clutching thread if it will help more people.

ILVmax4 said:
This guy may have a custom windshield for you.

http://www.cannonclassicsleds.com/

he is no longer making the winsheilds due to people bitching about the price i have tried a few times to get a few but no go he does great work and if we get enough interest i think we can pursuade him to make them again i know i wanted 3 one 78 and 2 79-80 i will pester him some more and see what i can do ..............

yes look at the clutch you should have "k" weights in the sled they work well but need to be modified for engagement .......if not a set of 78-79 "n" weights work well but once again need to be notched to bring engagment up .............biggest thing with the srx primary is a tight movable sheave bushing and to shim the buttons this will help the clutch stay true and run alot longer but it will still need alot of matainece to keep it in good shape and yes a 1980 srx should run 8800 rpms your stock secondary will work just fine with the yellow spring 8A7 helix set at 120* twist

Yamaha Nutz said:
he is no longer making the winsheilds due to people bitching about the price i have tried a few times to get a few but no go he does great work and if we get enough interest i think we can pursuade him to make them again i know i wanted 3 one 78 and 2 79-80 i will pester him some more and see what i can do ..............

yes look at the clutch you should have "k" weights in the sled they work well but need to be modified for engagement .......if not a set of 78-79 "n" weights work well but once again need to be notched to bring engagment up .............biggest thing with the srx primary is a tight movable sheave bushing and to shim the buttons this will help the clutch stay true and run alot longer but it will still need alot of matainece to keep it in good shape and yes a 1980 srx should run 8800 rpms your stock secondary will work just fine with the yellow spring 8A7 helix set at 120* twist

That's too bad---It's amazing how to how people can complain about anything. The guy was helping people keep vintage sleds in better condition. Why complain, just leave your sled a damaged piece and don't replace your windy. If you want something custom you have to pay for it!

See if you can find anything in here:

http://catalogs.recreationsupply.co/snow-2013/#/676/

Last edited:
the sno stuff windshields are junk .......but work if that is all you can find ......the will bend over at about 20 mph

Back