78,79 or 80 Exciter 440

SRX700guy

I have a line on all 3 years of Exciter 440's a 78, 79 and 80 all of them have there things that need to be done to them but in general they are all nice. Is there one of these years that is better for a paticular reason. Based on looks alone I like the 80 and 78 better than the 79

i would go with the 78-79 due to the ignition being more relible 80 and 81 do have cdi failures and are hard to come buy due to one year only cdi's other than that they are pretty much they same performance wise .........i would go with the 78 because i like the looks the best

Thanks that is the one I was kinda leaning towards anyways as it is in the best condition of all of them. I am clueless when it comes to these old sleds. Any performance tips to make this 78 scream?

I have owned 78,79,and 80. I also prefer the look of the 78. I don't think motors are much different as far as HP but I am aware the the cd failures on 80 and 81.
Clutching is were you can get some gains. I ran a comet clutch on my old 78 and it improved performance compared to stock. I have been keeping an eye out here in mass for a decent old exciter just to have one again to tinker with. I still say they were the best sled Yamaha ever made as it is amazing how many are still around and still run like the day they were made! good luck :sled2:

Back