What's in a track swap?

Backwoods M Max

So my current Yokohama track is on its way out. It needed to be replaced anyways but I'm torn between 144" and 151". I'm out east and most of the off trail is in the trees so I'm thinking 144 but also like the idea of a 151 for when the snow gets really deep. I know a 151 needs a tunnel extension but what else goes into it? Clutching, gearing? I'm planning to swap to extroverts while its apart. I've read that there will be a huge improvement either way in deep snow performance, but wonder if the 151 is justified for where I ride, other than the look at me factor. There are guys out here buying 155 rmk's to basically go rock crawl through the trees so they can all say look at me at the gas pump.

Go with a 151" you wont be sorry Im on my 3rd MM and I just stretched this one I have, and its way more balanced and stable it is easier to carve for me thus turning sharper when Im in the trees, and the traction of course is really nice I have not had it stuck yet.
If your gonna do it get your track and rail extensions from tracks USA and get your tunnel extension from hartman with the hartman tunnel extension you can reuse your coolant hoses on the rear heat exchanger also when getting a track make sure every window is open for best slide lubrication. As far as clutching goes It did not make a big difference on mine but I did not run the stock setup long after I stretched it.

A 144 is nice on these sleds. I had one on mine for 2 yrs before going 156. It's a good trade-off for deeper snow and trail. That being said, I'd never go back. I like the fact that I never get stuck, unless it's waist deep. I don't think you necessarily HAVE to change anything in your clutching and gearing, but it helps. That is all personal preference based, you want low grunt or higher top end? I can't remember exactly, but the weight of the yoko 141 is the same or possibly a just a little less than a 151 camo. When I had just the 144, I didn't change anything in my clutching or gearing. I know the 144 camo weighed less than the stock golf ball chucker and all around felt peppier due to the reduced rotating mass. I'm sure others will have a better opinion or ideas.

I should also have said my sled has reverse, so I don't know what ratio is in the chain case or what's available to change it. I would like to keep reverse.

going to the 144 can actually be more expensive due to the necessity of needing rails. the 03 mtn viper rails and camo track are a vast improvement over that 141 yoko. just about anything works better.

believe it or not, you can 151 that without extending the tunnel, just the rails. granted, you will suck up the snow flap occasionally, but the occasion is rare enough as to not create too much concern. a few tricks can be done to reduce that effect.

most i have done require no clutch changes for the most part. i have zero experience with the reverse models in this application and i always regear. not thats its totally needed, but yamahas are usually overgeared from the factory so there can be some efficiency gained with a gear reduction. reverse gears are limited and this can be a factor.

the 151 does give you a slightly larger footprint, but having run side by side with 144's in my fleet, in the deep snow out west, for our riding both are viable. you can find the 151 more readily available and usually cheaper than 144's. i would suggest the 151 while your waiting for some 144 rails and track, unless you happen to stumble across someone parting a mtn viper.

Back