project PHAZERATOR

staggs65

picked up a 80 something Phazer last summer for $100. She's a real gem. I've got some big ideas for it. I picked up an Aaen pipe from Snowdad4 a while back. Also got a set of exciter 570 carbs from Sxrjoe. The top end is eventually going out to Mrviper for some work. Also going to long track it and some other ideas I have that might not actually work out.
But to start I just want to get it fired up and beat it through the woods a little before I send out the top-end.

here's the ole girl in all her glory

004-10_zps18862d69.jpg

pulled the clutches apart. think I'm the first guy to ever do that to her. found this nice ball of old belt in the secondary.

003-7_zps2e515e58.jpg

Looks like she wasn't very well taken care of. Sounds like some sweet plans for it though. Can't wait to see pics when it's done!

Honestly - throw the airbox away, put a real set of carbs on it, and run pod filters. Problem solved and you can actually tune the carbs and work on the thing:)

staggs65 said:
so who's got the easiest method for getting the carb intake boots on these things? I've never gotten my *** kicked by a piece of rubber like this before.
did you unbolt the airbox where it mounts to the steering hoop? gives you just enough room to play if the boots arent brittle.

i use a j-hook type tool as a helping hand for the boots.

keep your eyes peeled for either a polaris 133 skid or any 136 skid from the poos or doos with the torsion style springs like the phazers. rare find would be a skid from an st model phazer. a 136 with 1.5+ lugs using 7t antiratchet drivers makes a killer combo.

How can you go wrong for a 100 bucks should be cool project allways love pogo yamahas good luck with it and keep us posted

snowdad4 said:
did you unbolt the airbox where it mounts to the steering hoop? gives you just enough room to play if the boots arent brittle.

i use a j-hook type tool as a helping hand for the boots.

keep your eyes peeled for either a polaris 133 skid or any 136 skid from the poos or doos with the torsion style springs like the phazers. rare find would be a skid from an st model phazer. a 136 with 1.5+ lugs using 7t antiratchet drivers makes a killer combo.

the airbox seems to move around quite a bit so I'm guessing it was already unbolted. lol. the boots are good and soft, almost too soft. they keep folding in on me. I'll try bending up a piece of tig wire tomorrow to see if I can slip them over the carbs. I walked away from it for today. between the Brake-kleen, carb-kleen and frustration I was getting quite a headache.

got it running today. carb boots went right on after a night away from it. lol. I threw a SRX seat on it that I had kicking around. the one on it was just a wad of duct tape. I also put a set of USI SS railers on it that I had collecting dust. The metal skis had no carbides and the skis were half worn through. Neither the seat or skis are part of the final plan but it allowed me to get it out on the snow. My 7 year old son drove it on a track we have through the woods out back for about an hour. Then we headed out on the trails around here with my wife and son on the phazer and myself and my daughter on the bravo. So it got a good workout today. Ran it out of gas about 100 yards from the house on the way back.

those things run pretty good when done up, right at 78-79hp, a huge increase over stock. The carbs dont really add any power but they keep it alive as you cant adjust the mmidrange on them junk butterfly carbs, no matter what I did, they would always go down on the mid range, even with 110 pilots and drilled passages... :whine:

they will suprise a few people as they are pretty quick in a short little run. Cool project, I like them old phazers. ;)!

If your kids gonna ride this when done, youll need to supervise, as it can easily get away from him/her :sled2:

mrviper700 said:
If your kids gonna ride this when done, youll need to supervise, as it can easily get away from him/her :sled2:

No they wont be riding it after the work is done. It will be my off trail woods beater. I just let him ride it for the weekend while my daughter rode the Bravo instead of the usual taking turns on the Bravo.

Back