Another SRX track question

larrywannamaker

First off I'm new to the site, and would like to say "very nice!" OK on to business.... I'm asking for a friend as his PC is down and out. 1)What all is involved in putting a 1.25" track on a stock 98 SRX 700? 2) What's all involved in putting a 1" track with 1.25" studs on the same sled? (he's not sure what way to go) He rides mostly groomed trails, but does go off trail frequently (alot of the time our groomed trails are icey due to crappy winters) Any help would be great... Thanks Larry

If I were your friend I would have no doubt about going with a 1" lug and putting pics in it. I have the 9830H camoplast track in my sled with 144 pics and I couldn't be happier. As for taking out a track and swaping it There are amny steps and it is about a 2 hour job for a experienced person. You must start by taking off the secondary clutch and belt. Then I would take off the pipes next. remove the muffler too. I would then remove the entire rear suspension from the track. You then have to get to the chaincase and when you do you must drain it from the oil. then take off the gears and belt. Then remove the brake assembly. When you remove the entire chaincase assembly you must play around with it for a long time and you might need a rubber hammer sometimes just to get it off. Wiggle it around because they take a while to get both the jackshaft and drive shaft out. Then once you get the case off, you must loosen a set screw (I believe) on the driveshaft bearing so it can come off. These are also very stubborn. Once your get the bearing loose wiggle that jackshaft until it gets out. Then wa la, your track is then out and ready for the switch. Word of advice, when installing the new track, keep a care ey on the arrow on the track so you know which way to install it for optimum performance. let me know if you have any other questions. I might have missed something along the way so if he runs into trouble just post again and I will be glad to help.

Thanks for the info.. I really should have worded my question a little better. What I'm really looking for is do the drivers need to be changed to accomodate either track selection (ie. 1.25" track or 1" track with 1.25" studs) and with the 1.25" do the tunnel protectors need to be installed? Sorry for the confusion!

If you run with the 1" track nothing needs to be changed, if you run with the 1.25, you need to change the drivers and gearing to get back to stock (inless you want the new gearing). I would put in the tunnel protectors on either track, those help alot.

Not tunnel protectors in a 98 SRX, unless they were installed.
just put in the 1.25" track. I did.
up to 1.5" will fit with no other changes

for 1" plus studs he'll have to install protectors for the heat exchangers and tunnell protectors.

OK so a 1.25" nothing needs to be done to fit the track, a 1" track with 1.25" studa needs tunnel protectors. Is there anything else that needs to be done for a 1.25" stud to fit?

you also need heat exchanger protectors with studs. just add protectors with a 1" track with studs. you will need to pull everything to add the protectors, even if your not changing the gtrack.

to run a 1.25" track with studs you need to change the drivers (should also change gearing and speedo gear)

Brother in law installed a 1-1/4 ripsaw in his 98 srx,he had to pull the tunnel protectors and the front heat exchanger protectors,but was able to run the stock drivers.with studding the 1" track you need heat exchanger protectors,and tunnel protectors.I have a 9830 1 inch with 1.175 studs with out any issues-Harvey

Last edited:

Back