Removing painted on registration numbers

tnc110

VIP Lifetime Member
Previous owner PAINTED :o| number on my SRX..it is a 98 with the black belly...any ideas on what to use/ how to remove them.

photobucket-5551-1362612898286_zps9f235430.jpg

A buddy of mine used oven cleaner. I would try it in an inconspicuous spot before lathering up the whole side of the hood

Sno-Xr said:
A buddy of mine used oven cleaner. I would try it in an inconspicuous spot before lathering up the whole side of the hood

I hear people destroy their power valves with oven cleaner... Don't know if I would put that stuff on my hood.. Jmo.

I've heard of people using oven cleaner to remove antifouling paint off the bottom of boats...might work for me...sounds like its safe for gelcoat...maybe its safe for plastic.

Goo gone to remove paint???

tnc110 said:
I've heard of people using oven cleaner to remove antifouling paint off the bottom of boats...might work for me...sounds like its safe for gelcoat...maybe its safe for plastic.

Goo gone to remove paint???

Believe it or not, I used laquer thinner to remove the screen printed YAMAHA on the side of the seat. It also worked on the pink 600 and white POLARIS on the black seat of my XCR.

snomofo said:
Believe it or not, I used laquer thinner to remove the screen printed YAMAHA on the side of the seat. It also worked on the pink 600 and white POLARIS on the black seat of my XCR.

Now why would you want to remove yamaha! Lol

snomofo said:
I have done the same(removed lettering or unwanted writing) with lacquer thinner, you just need to be careful not to affect to large of an area incase you get a reaction, as then you will posibly have a huge mess on your hands. Also using a potent chemical like lacquer thinner may dry the plastic or dis-color it. NOT saying dont try it, just becareful of the potential overall effects. They probably used what is called sign painters paint which is a high solids enamel based paint. So you may want to start with enamel reducer first.

Just for an FYI, did you know that this "sign painters Paint" is the same paint they use to put those "fancy" hand painted lines/lettering on cars and trucks?? (<--Not from the factory but from the dealership or other outlets).

Sxr700Bandit said:
I have done the same(removed lettering or unwanted writing) with lacquer thinner, you just need to be careful not to affect to large of an area incase you get a reaction, as then you will posibly have a huge mess on your hands. Also using a potent chemical like lacquer thinner may dry the plastic or dis-color it. NOT saying dont try it, just becareful of the potential overall effects. They probably used what is called sign painters paint which is a high solids enamel based paint. So you may want to start with enamel reducer first.

Just for an FYI, did you know that this "sign painters Paint" is the same paint they use to put those "fancy" hand painted lines/lettering on cars and trucks?? (<--Not from the factory but from the dealership or other outlets).

The paint you're talking about is One Shot. I used to paint registration letters on sleds as an apprentice to the old man. I got good at it right about the time Michigan decided to put the reg numbers on the sticker.

Once dry, the One Shot enamel will not come up with mineral spirits based reducer. Another stripper (such as a citrus based) may work and as Bandit suggested, what ever you use try it in an out of site area to ensure it doesn't make a mess.

I'm pretty sure I've used it on bellypan plastic without any issues and as I said earlier, it worked perfectly to get the lettering off the seats (and bar pad). I probably never would have thought to use it on a seat fabric until I accidently spilled some on my XCR seat and watched it run the lettering without affecting the seat dye. A light bristled toothbrush in circular motion and not getting it too wet with the solvent and using many clean rags worked well.

Lacquer thinner is potent stuff and I probably should have suggested using caution like Bandit did.

snomofo said:
The paint you're talking about is One Shot. I used to paint registration letters on sleds as an apprentice to the old man. I got good at it right about the time Michigan decided to put the reg numbers on the sticker.

Once dry, the One Shot enamel will not come up with mineral spirits based reducer. Another stripper (such as a citrus based) may work and as Bandit suggested, what ever you use try it in an out of site area to ensure it doesn't make a mess.

I'm pretty sure I've used it on bellypan plastic without any issues and as I said earlier, it worked perfectly to get the lettering off the seats (and bar pad). I probably never would have thought to use it on a seat fabric until I accidently spilled some on my XCR seat and watched it run the lettering without affecting the seat dye. A light bristled toothbrush in circular motion and not getting it too wet with the solvent and using many clean rags worked well.

Lacquer thinner is potent stuff and I probably should have suggested using caution like Bandit did.
Sno- I was just heeding caution as you and I know it's pretty potent stuff. I just dont know what others may know about these chemicals and was only trying to help prevent a possible problem. Yup you know your sign paints, lol, That is the stuff I was describing. So, just trying to clear the air and no offense taken over here.

Back