79 Yamaha Exciter Oil injector lines

Loosenuts

I am having trouble with one of the oil lines not staying full of oil. It is the one on the side of the injector pump, going to the mag side of the intake manifold.
When I extend the oil pump cable as the motor idles, I can see the oil "surging" up the lines. Once the oil enters the manifold I relax the cable to its normal position. After a short ride...the line on the pto side is full of oil, but the mag side only has oil visable for a small amount (1 inch or so) and then it almost appears to be a mix of gas and oil. After shutting it down, the oil is only about 2 inches in the line. Any ideas???

Tim

I do have one (thought I paid a lot more for it :whine: ) But it does not go into much detail on the pump itself. All settings are correct, and the pump does work. It just doesn't have any oil in the mag side line after a short ride. However the PTO side is fine.

maybe it is possible you have an air leak. The original lines that run from the oil pump to the intake manifold, and the direct replacements, are metric. Possibly the line is of a standard size and doesn't fit perfectly?

Funny you say that.....I have thought the same thing, have not checked it yet. It is new lines, but they don't seem as tight as the stockers.

Good call on the air leak. I had the same thing happen on one of my sleds a few years back. I was using the 1/8 blue line, basically primer line. Dont slam me, I know it was stupid but thats all i could find at the time. I went to the local dealer and he had a really thick walled Tygon that worked perfectly and went on nice and snug. I dont remember the dimensions but there are a variety of wall thicknesses available.
Got Wood, I bought a brand new oil pump a few years ago. It came with the oil lines, just like what was on there. I rebuilt the same motor this year and the lines are hard as a rock. It surprised me because even on a neglected sled the oil lines are usually still pretty pliable. I wonder if they changed the material. Any way that tygon I bought seems to work just as well. We'll see if it holds up.

I have had good luck with the Yamaha OEM lines, for me, they are like they were put on there yesterday. The only gripe I could have is that they're black, and you can't see through them.

Back