SRX won't run on steam!

got-wood

I know none of them run well on steam, but my Mountain SRX has gotten bad. Into the powder and lay her over on her side, the snow dumps in the hood vents onto the pipes and BLAH! I have that black cloth covering my intake screen and next year she gets fresh air intake, but the thing that confuses me is that when the sled was new it never really bothered it much. Turn on the carb heat and bust drifts all day no problem. Now, it gets a wiff of steam and its done! What gives?

it's not a Stanley, it needs gasoline.

there, I had my fun. at first glance I'd say the powder cooling the pipes or the exhaust being restricted in the deep but since you say it wasnt an issue before. ?????

If you have aftermarket pipes, they are getting cold when the snow hits them, thus slowing the exhaust flow. Go back to stock and problem will be solved. Al

check the donuts on the manifolds to ensure sealing. they do wear out and your sled is what 15 yrs old? dont forget the ones at the silencer as well.

seal the outlet where the silencer exits out the bellypan. high temp silicone does wonders to keep the hot air from coming back in here and the exhaust deflector has already been mentioned. the oem one on that sled is a joke! consider upgrading to the one from an 03 mtn viper or 01 and up mtn max.

usually the center pipe takes the hit from the under bumper vents. block the vents or wrap that section of pipe.

The four inlets(for the carbs) that are incorperated into the hood should be blocked off. This will only allow cold air to be sucked in from the outside and not steam from under the hood. Just clean up the surfaces well with naptha before tape is applied to insure a good bond. I had some 2 inch wide chafe tape laying around that worked excellent.

Last edited:
It has the stock factory pipes though they are in need of insulation repacking. The exhaust gaskets are good, the sled is as it was when new other than the skis and a new Intense track. The snow is dumping in on the right side hood vents, the ones under the bumper don't amount to much and are generally plugged with ice anyway. I can't close off the hood vents, she is already nearly melted the pan where the pipes sit. I need to evacuate that heat. Electronics are dry and you can tell it is from ingesting steam into the air-box by exactly when it happens and when it cleans out. I do have another hood with a bender fresh air intake that I will put on this summer and take pains to seal really well underneath. The sled is well maintained and there is no other issues, the thing that has me confused is how little it was bothered by the snow when it was new. I'm having a LOT of fun with this sled and just love it, especially when it spanks new 800 e-tecs and polies. lol. You can see by the pics, this thing plays in the snow and the offending vents!

Attachments

• SRX mine ty.jpg
    SRX mine ty.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 11
fresh air intake is located on the left side near the front of the windshield. opposite side is the brake cooling duct.

the lower vents on the hood add air towards the pipes and the clutch. at one time your hood would have had some plastic block off plates attached underside the hood. they only fit certain vent holes. you may try removing them if they are blocking the vents or placing them over the vents in the corresponding holes.

snowdad4 said:
fresh air intake is located on the left side near the front of the windshield. opposite side is the brake cooling duct.

the lower vents on the hood add air towards the pipes and the clutch. at one time your hood would have had some plastic block off plates attached underside the hood. they only fit certain vent holes. you may try removing them if they are blocking the vents or placing them over the vents in the corresponding holes.

Yeah, block off plate in or out makes no difference. The top of the air-box is covered with the black cloth that does not allow moisture through, obviously not perfectly sealed. When moving faster it doesn't bother because of the air movement, but when playing around in the powder and going slower it almost dies. When you open the hood there is a cloud of steam underneath and water sitting on top of the cloth on the top of the air-box filter!

seems a bit odd that this has become a new issue. i realize snow conditions change, but something else must be going on. i have never experienced your issues with my msrx, although i do have a cold air intake. i have pretty much submarined that sled in deep snow without having steam buildup.

your getting excess moisture in there from somewhere. body plugs in tact? no visible signs of missing rivets underneath from the belly pan? major gaps in the plastics?

i run all the vents open except the under bumper ones are blocked as is the lower most right side vent on the hood.

try some pre-filter, gutter guard or pantyhose on the fresh air vent.

Back