burning/slipping belt

BLUEBALLER

Hey guys,
Having a problem with belt slippage. My old belt had over 5000 kms, and it just started to slip a few weeks ago during the holidays. Secondary had one shim added to the 3 bolts already and this belt was sitting pretty low, so I figured time to replace. The old belt started to smoke and burn when I would take off for the day(sled was outside and -30c) and then it was fine for the next few hours. This happened every day for 3 or 4 days. I wasn't sure if it was ice/ snow buildup in the tunnel combined with the cold temps. or just that the belt was too old. Replaced worn belt with new 8DN and I can still smell burning belt. The sled will rev to over 8000 rpm's but the sled doesn't really want to move like it should. I'm going to align my clutches and possibly replace both primary and secondary springs. Would a seized bearing cause this? I checked for play in the jackshaft bearing but couldn't find any. Sled runs fine on stand, but put a load on it and belt will burn.

Take the secondary apart and sand the sheave surfaces, it probably has rubber stuck to it, what sled is this on?

sorry, sled is a 2000 sxr700 with over 11000 kms. on it. I had the secondary looked at by a friend and spring, bushings and buttons looked/felt fine. He loaned me a clutch puller and alignment tools so today I'm checking alignment and taking the primary off. One thing we did find was a score mark in the secondary less than an inch off the bottom. It was about an inch long and on both sides of the sheaves. Didn't seem right and he'd never seen that before. Buffed it down with emery. Wonder what caused it.

Also, sled has a clutch kit in it already. Previous owner put it in but I'm not sure what kit it is. Primary spring is a solid red spring and secondary is black with one dot on it, possibly green or light blue. anyone know who makes a solid red spring? engages around 4300-4400 rpm and was shifting at 8200-8300, now with my problems it's been shifting around 8500-8600.

Last edited:
well if it was aligned for 11000km I doubt the alignment changed when you changed the belt, take a piece of 220 to the sheaves and you'll be surprised what comes off

Well I checked clutches for alignment and it was way out. Not really sure what caused them to go out all of a sudden. Power is back where it should be but I'm still getting a whiff of burnt belt. Not as much or as bad as before though. Going to blow out the clutches with air and hope for the best.

sockeyerun said:
How old are those springs?

I don't know. I'm guessing they have at least 7000-8000 kms. on them. I've had sled for 2 years and put on over 6000kms. I thought they were way overdue as well, but they've engaged and shifted consistently since I've owned sled(till now). Do you know who makes a solid red primary spring? I've tried to contact previous owner with no luck. Cleaned out primary clutch again(2nd time this year) and was amazed how much belt dust flew out. Took it for rip in the ditch and I can still smell belt. Checked belt deflection after my ride and primary clutch moved since this afternoon. Not much, but it moved. I'm going to force my self to pull primary and look for worn bushings. As you can tell I've never worked on clutches before and I'm kind of leary to pull the primary. Once I find out what I have for springs, I'm going to replace them both.

Back